DIY Fresh Floral Table Runner for Fall

$35

Create a blooming table runner for fall using fresh flowers with this easy method. Tutorial includes flower arrangement longevity tips as well as fall table inspiration.

To create this fresh flower table runner, I started with some chicken wire. Chicken wire is environmentally friendly unlike wet floral foam and economical too as it can be reused. You can find chicken wire in small rolls at the craft store and larger rolls at the garden center. I found my chicken wire in a 18 by 39-inch roll on Amazon for around $8. The benefit of using painted chicken wire is that it won’t rust like plain galvanized chicken wire, but any chicken wire will work to help support the flowers in your arrangement.

For the base for my table runner, I used plastic storage containers. I found the containers sold in packs of two at Dollar Tree. The dimension of my containers are 5 1/2 inches wide by 8 inches long and 2 inches deep.

Cut your chicken wire a little longer and wider than your container using pliers, bending the wire to fit inside the containers.

To keep the wire from shifting while arranging the flowers, I used some waterproof floral tape I had, to secure it to the container. You can find waterproof floral tape at the craft store on the floral aisle or online.

After the chicken wire is in place, arrange the containers down the center of your table. The containers aren’t attached to one another, rather simply placed in a row, end-to-end. Fill your containers with water and floral preservative and you’re ready to begin!

Now for the fun, creating your blooming table runner! I started with some greenery I cut, (privet) adding it to the chicken wire, along with some green oak leaves.

Mums in assorted fall colors, alstoemeria and cheery sunflowers from the grocery store were added to fill in down the length of the table. Both mums and alstroemeria have a long vase life, lasting a week or longer and sunflowers will last around three-to-four days or more, depending on how fresh they are when you purchase them. Arranging mums is easier and they go further if you cut them apart, placing the individual flowers in the chicken wire. Sprigs cut from the abelia shrubs (some with little white blooms) were added last.

Here are few tips to help extend the life of your flowers in your arrangement:

🌻 Cut your flower stems at a 45 degree angle for maximum water uptake and remove any leaves below the water line.

🌻 Always add the floral preservative packets to your vase water that come with flowers purchased at the grocery store. If you don’t have any floral preservative, you can make your own with this easy formula.

🌻 Check your water level to top it off as necessary. Some flowers like hydrangeas are heavy drinkers.

🌻 If you’re using greenery from your yard, cut it and condition several hours in advance or preferably overnight before adding it to your arrangement.

🌻 If you’re using cut hydrangeas, use the alum-dipping method to keep them from wilting.

🌻 Keep your flower arrangement away from heat (like vents blowing) or direct sunlight.

🌻 Change your vase water every other day and recut the stems if possible.

🌻 Peel the outer layer of the woody stems with a vegetable peeler rather than smashing the stems which can cause bacteria to grow. Removing 3 – 4 inches of the outer wood helps the stems ‘drink’ and stay fresh longer.

This is a fun way to add flowers to the length of your table that you can do any time of year! You can make your runner as long or as short as you like, depending on the size of your table and number of containers you use. You can also divide your centerpiece when dinner is over, sending your guests home with a mini arrangement.

More photos and table sources can be found at the blog link below. Happy Fall!

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Mamma

The container and wire is inexpensive, but Overall cost for the flowers, how much?

• It depends on how many containers you use along with what flowers you purchase. I spent $35 total for a 40-inch long arrangement which is very affordable by florist standards. You can spend more or less.

• Joanie

Your entire set up for Thanksgiving is really pretty......Everyone will love it, along with TOM......send some pictures???

• Connie

Did you know that you coulda forego the chicken wire, and just use the thin florist tape? You can make a grid using the tape across the top of each container. You can use square squatty glass vases if you have them... this is what florists do to create a “flower frog” onto unusual shaped containers. Just remove and toss when used up. Cheaper than the wire and more environmentally friendly bc people are probably going to toss the chicken wire too.