Asked on Sep 20, 2019

How do you strip wood furniture?

GkKelli L. MilliganCynthia H
+7

I have a antique table and chairs (6) and need to strip off old stain and gook and need to know the best product to use.

HI David: What I use is a product called Citristrip. It's easy to use, non=caustic and has a pleasant smell. It can be used on horizontal and vertical items. Most home improvement stores sell it. It can also get into those curly or cut out areas, too:) Good luck

You're welcome. Yeah, it does take a bit of time, but the job it does and the impact on the environment is not as bad as some of the others. And, it leaves a really nice finish. I don't mind the time, it's really not all that long. And, if you need to do something else while it's working, you can cover it with plastic wrap overnight. I've tried the others, but this is what I prefer. Don't like the smell of the others, don't like to have to use gloves and the clean up is a mess. Citristrip is just clean and easy to use. All in all, I like it:)

• Cynthia H

I only use Citristrip.

• Gk

If you choose to use Citristrip you have to be very patient. It works a bit differently than the more typical furniture strippers so make sure you follow the directions carefully to get good results. It is less caustic and does have a better smell but sometimes I choose to use the more toxic stuff because it's faster! I also end up using the more toxic stuff to get off all the gook from the Citristrip! Half of me likes Citristrip, the other half doesn't!

• David

Thanks GK I think I am getting the picture on the citristrip but is the time very slow for the product to work?

• Kelli L. Milligan

I use Kleen Strip. Wear gloves and safety glasses.

• Kelli L. Milligan

It's faster than citrus strip but striping is an exercise in patience. I've seen it at Home Depot, but more often in stand alone paint stores. Call around. Get lacquer thinner to wash down, 220 grit sand paper and sever grades of Steel wool for final cleaning with lacquer thinner 0 to 000 steel wool.

• Gk

David, in response to your question about the time it takes for Citristrip to work. It takes leaving the product on from 30 minutes to 24 hours. The length of time you would need to leave it on depends on what you are taking off-how thick the old finish is. Some old pieces of furniture have a heavy layer of old varnish and dirty goo that may take more time. It will just depend on what your old finish is like. Here's an article on 4 different kinds of strippers; just make sure to hit the left/right arrows where the stripper is displayed to read about each one. I hope you find this helpful! https://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/furniture-repair/stripping-furniture-tips-for-refinishing