Picnic Food Domes

$15

You won't believe that these super cute picnic food domes were upcycled from 50 cent Goodwill baskets!

Food domes in September? You may think the season for alfresco dining has passed, but in my opinion, it has just arrived. The sultry air of summer is departing and crisp, Fall nights are making their debut. The perfect time for eating outside. Hence, the perfect time for these cute upcycled food domes.

I spent a day with a friend scouring Goodwill stores recently, and I picked up a few straw baskets for 50 cents each. With spray paint and  cabinet knobs, I transformed them into something pretty darn cute – brightly colored food domes for protecting your alfresco grub.

step 1 – paint baskets

I first spray painted the baskets white, both on the inside and outside.

Once dry, using painters’ tape and plastic bags, I sprayed the baskets again. Altogether, I used several shades of blue and green paints. 

step 2 – attach knobs

To attach the cabinet knobs, I drilled holes in the bottom center of each basket. Do this carefully and slowly, as inexpensive straw baskets tend to break easily. Once holes are drilled, screw the knob onto the tops. 

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Everything Red For Canada Day
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

• Lori

Great idea! I am definitely going to do this for next summer's parties.

• Sue
    Just now

What a super idea this is! I have had these inexpensive straw baskets around the house for years and got very little use out of them. I think I still have a couple in the garage but painted and with the drawer knobs they have now got a new life! Thanks for this great idea and sharing with us !