Simple Halloween Cage Props

$4

Here is a super simple, inexpensive way to make decorative cages for Halloween. Each cage costs less than $4 to make if you already have some basic supplies, like spray paint.

Materials

Tools and Materials

• Two small laundry baskets
  • Fake chain
  • Zip ties or shower curtain rings (I used the shower curtain rings to make my cages easier to open and close if needed)
  • Black spray paint (If they have black baskets, buy them instead! It will save you a step later)
  • Silver spray paint
  • Scissors
  • Halloween decor

I found all of this at Dollar Tree!

Cut the Handles

Cut the Handles

Because the baskets have slightly raised handles, my first step was to cut out a spot for the handles on one of the baskets, so the two baskets can sit flush with each other.

I used the cut basket as the top of the cage so if they are placed in an area that can get rained on, the water will drain out instead of puddling in the lip of the basket.

Attach with Shower Curtain Rings

Attach with Shower Curtain Rings

Here is my test fit after cutting the handles. I used a shower curtain ring at each end of the chain to attach it to the bottom side of one basket (the top of the cage). I also am using a couple rings to hold the two baskets together.

Now is a good time to think about what you want to put in your cages. I found this miniature skeleton at Michael’s.

Paint Black

Paint

It was hard to get a decent picture here, but I spray painted the baskets (and shower curtain rings) using a flat black, then lightly went over them with a metallic silver. You want the silver to be a little splotchy to give the look of aged, dirty metal.

Hang

Hang

Put everything together and hang it up! We hung ours from hooks on our patio.

If you need things for inside your cages, Dollar Tree also has lots of fake bats, skulls, spiders and other spooky critters! We put a couple bats in the top of one cage.

I’d love to see pictures of your cages and how you decorate them in the comments!

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas

• E Marie Dee-Campbell

suggestion: paint skeleton with glow in dark paint?

• Amanda

Yes, feel free to decorate however you want. I change it up occasionally and reposition the skeletons or add different things to the cages.

• How did I cut the hole out of the handle?

• Amanda

I used a utility knife because I couldn’t find my exacto knife at the time, but either would work. Just be careful so you don’t slip and cut yourself!

• Carol Jollymore

There is a small opening between the edge of the two baskets. Amanda do you ever put the skeletons fingers poking out at that spot?

• Amanda

Yes, I like to change up the contents and positions several times throughout the Halloween season.

• Sue
    6 hours ago

WOW.....saw this and guess where hubby and I are off to this morning? Yep Dollar Tree, can't wait to make these. I love them !!

• Jeanne
    Just now

This is SO cute!