Simple Halloween Cage Props

$4

Here is a super simple, inexpensive way to make decorative cages for Halloween. Each cage costs less than $4 each to make if you already have some basic supplies like spray paint.

simple halloween cage props

Each cage will need two small laundry baskets and a fake chain. I found all of this at Dollar Tree! You will also need either zip ties OR shower curtain rings (also from Dollar Tree). I used the shower curtain rings to make my cages easier to open and close if needed.

If they have black baskets, buy them instead! It will save you a step later.

simple halloween cage props

Because the baskets have slightly raised handles, my first step was to cut out a spot for the handles on one of the baskets, so the two baskets can sit flush with each other.

I used the cut basket as the top of the cage so if they are placed in an area that can get rained on, the water will drain out instead of puddling in the lip of the basket.

simple halloween cage props

Here is my test fit after cutting the handles. I used a shower curtain ring at each end of the chain to attach it to the bottom side of one basket (the top of the cage). I also am using a couple rings to hold the two baskets together.

Now is a good time to think about what you want to put in your cages. I found this miniature skeleton at Michael’s.

simple halloween cage props

It was hard to get a decent picture here, but I spray painted the baskets (and shower curtain rings) using a flat black, then lightly went over them with a metallic silver. You want the silver to be a little splotchy to give the look of aged, dirty metal.

simple halloween cage props

Put everything together and hang it up! We hung ours from hooks on our patio.

If you need things for inside your cages, Dollar Tree also has lots of fake bats, skulls, spiders and other spooky critters! We put a couple bats in the top of one cage.

I’d love to see pictures of your cages and how you decorate them in the comments!

• Aileen Gardner

What are the basket measurements?

• Pauline

What size skeleton did you use?

• Mary Flanagan

Hi, Amanda. Would you be willing to grant Family Handyman (familyhandyman.com) permission to include your how-to photos in a post about your project? We will credit you and link to this page. Please let me know either here or, better yet, at mary.flanagan@trustedmediabrands.com. Thank you!

• Lovesunique

This is a brilliant idea and super cute and "cheap" to make. If you don't have a human skeleton, Dollar Tree has small animals that would work, i.e., rats and birds. Getting inspired...thanks!

• Trace
    An hour ago

my husband lives skeltons so when I saw this, I thought why not and so we made a few.. Skelton was actually bought at Targets before finding some at 5 below.. everything else was located at our local $tree store..