DIY PVC Pipe Indoor Art

$90

Despite all the work our "DIY PVC Pipe Privacy Screen" entailed, we were determined to repeat the process on an indoor piece. We incorporated many of the suggestions given through YouTube comments (Spoiler: this process was so much easier)!

As always, watching the video will give you a complete look at the entire process. It's less than 10 minutes to view.

If you missed it, scroll back up to the top and you'll see it. Click and enjoy!

You can watch now or read on and come back up to view. The video should probably answer any questions you might have.

Did you see our first project? Take a look here.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

First step is to buy many sizes of PVC pipe. Once we got the pipe home, we sanded the wording off and started to cut it into slices.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

We started by cutting lots and lots of PVC pipe from 1/2" in diameter to 3" in diameter. We used a ratcheting PVC cutter for the smaller pieces as it is too dangerous to cut them on a miter saw, as we are doing with the larger pipe.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

Since the PVC artwork was going to be built without a frame, we constructed a simple 2x4 frame in which to work in. We placed this on a corrugated plastic panel so when we glued everything, it didn't stick to the table.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

This is the first panel (we made two) all ready to be glued. But wait! It needed something else.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

To add a little bling to the art, we added epoxy to fourteen of the 1 1/2" diameter slices of PVC.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

Using PVC glue (smelly stuff--wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area!), we glued it all together. We covered the epoxy circles with contact paper and then took it outside to spray paint.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

You don't have to paint this since it won't be outside in the sun, but we did because the PVC slices were not consistently the same color. The smaller pieces were considerably more off white than the rest. Plus, we forgot to sand off all the lettering and we had to cover that.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

Dry and all ready to be installed at Steph's house.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

Those open areas are where the art panels are going.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

The panels are installed into the openings with offset clips, which you can see in the lower right hand corner of this picture.

diy pvc pipe indoor art

Panels are in place and installed! They look like they've always been there!

Please note: you can access the entire list of tools and materials we used on our website by clicking this link. Also, the time estimate to do this project does not take into account the time waiting for things to dry. We worked on this off and on over the course of a few weeks.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Rhonda Smith

Lights behind it would look really cool

• Mother Daughter Projects

Agree, but there is no power up there and battery lights would just be annoying to keep changing out the batteries. ~Vicki

• Mark

I liked the project. It looked like a lot of work but was worth it in the end. You could tried acetone to remove the printing. that would leave a dull finish though. Since you spray painted it white gloss why remove the lettering? I really liked how the LH complemented the RH. Good idea on the paper.

• Mother Daughter Projects

We removed the letter because it will show through if you miss a spot when painting. Also, if the printing is between two slices, it's very difficult to cover. So, yes, you could leave it. ~Vicki

• Shelap
    21 minutes ago

Have to say I love it and I think the description of modern stained glass fits it good. The mirror effect was perfect. I think it is too much work for me....now for someone else - nay. I am fascinated by work and could watch it all day.

I think the new PVC panels are the answer for future panels. Some of those circles in it are large enough that it makes me think of great grandkid pictures. Wonder how epoxy would work placing toy type items (in other surrounding circles) that would correspond with the child's picture.

Incidentally I have 24 grands; 42 greats; 1 great-great. So it would take a lot of PVC circles, huh?

• Amy Dietz

It REALLY is FABULOUS, makes me wish I had two awkward spaces somewhere in my walls (lol) - blown away by your creativeness! Thanks for sharing

• Ruth Covington

I think that's a cute idea, but, I think I'd have added more color to the circles. Maybe to match the decor or just some neutrals that would blend with any color scheme. (And I consider certain shades of yellow, blue and green to be neutrals. Not everyone does!)

Of course, I don't have any strange openings in my house either. So, I couldn't use this particular idea/project. :(