Display Case on Display

$30

I saw this cute little display case up for sale, and even with a missing back, I thought it was adorable. I loaded up the babies and took off to purchase it. Ideas churning as I drove....probably glass back previously that somebody broke...hmm, a wooden back would be more practical and offer a better background for future display items...or maybe something completely different?

Here is the picture I saw on Facebook marketplace. Such a cute little piece, right?!

Step one, take it apart! With the back missing, it was a bit wobbly. I knew I would need to take it apart to fix it back up. Remember to keep all your hardware together. Here you can see I used an old baby food jar to hold it all.

Sanding, sanding, and sanding. I ALWAYS do solid prep work on projects. Since I planned to only paint this piece, a hand sanding to get old finish off and roughened up for paint to adhere was all I needed to do. Always make sure you clean off all pieces with a damp rag to remove any dust after sanding!!

Originally I had planned a nice “vanilla” colored paint job (because whites sell faster), but a friend gave me this paint for my birthday...and well?! You know I just can’t resist color. 😂🤷‍♀️ Two coats of paint with a light sanding (320 or 400 grit) in between coats. When using Dixie Belle paint, a wet (damp not dripping wet) paint brush is best. A fine mist spray bottle to dampen paint between coats is very helpful as well.

Painting all those pieces!

After I was done painting...it just needed something. So, I applied a coat of clear coat (I used Dixie Belle Satin), let it dry, and broke out some glaze.

I brushed on the glaze and wiped it back to desired finish with a rag. You have to work in small areas so glaze doesn’t get dry before you wipe it back.

Different is good, right? I ordered this Coavas non adhesive window film from Amazon. Measured, cut and applied to inside of the glass following the enclosed directions. Easy peasy.

I used my new cameo silhouette to cut some vinyl, which I applied to the glass doors. First time doing this, and just wait to see...

Reassembly was required.

I opted to just put a plain back in and paint/glaze to match since this cabinet is no longer a display cabinet....

Instead it is an adorable bathroom storage cabinet! Love the end result, what do you think?

• Anna T

I love it!

• Nancy Goff-Waddell

Have you ever tried "Treasures by the sea" Sea paints? No sanding. Dries in a minute. Just wondering. It's awesome.

• Lynnette Soltwedel

No, most chalk paints boast no sanding required. I just feel like the quality of the finished product is better if solid prep work is done. 🤷‍♀️

• Dianna Blumricl

Where did you get your vinyl? Did you then add the bath stuff to the vinyl? Did I make sense? Lol Thank you. It is outstanding. I love color. I am tired of white & gray. Great job.

• Lynnette Soltwedel

I purchased a cameo silhouette 3 cutting machine. You use sheets or roll of vinyl different kinds for different projects. I then used a graphic I purchased from the silhouette design store, modified it to fit my needs, and cut it with the machine. It is so much fun! I made the snow people ornaments with it yesterday.