DIY // How to Transform an Upholstered Chair

$57.90

This chair was such an eye-sore, but seemed to have so much potential. After I took of the old upholstery and stained the wood, it already looked like a totally different chair!
diy how to transform an upholstered chair, how to, painted furniture, reupholster
This chair has been so much fun to work on, I am so glad I decided to buy it.
Taking off the old upholstery, wasn't as hard as it may seem. You just have to make sure not to tear the fabric or leather. I used the old upholstery as my template for the new fabric.
I also used the old foam as a template.
Then, I covers the chair in foam and batting. To make sure nothing moves, I had to staple the foam onto the wood in some areas.
Tip: Use a table to work on your chair, and your back will thank you later.
After I had installed the covered buttons to my cushion, I secured the fabric on the bottom (with staples) and on the sides with decorative nails.
Love the button on the cushion. You can get custom fabric covered buttons here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/201135690/custom-78-fabric-covered-button-8pack
Than, I made sure the new fabric for my back was fitting before I cut, sewed and stapled it on.
I used a different back fabric on the chair to break it up a bit.
Final fitting before stapling everything on.
Tip: Use a Air-presure staple gun and your project time will cut in half.
Tip: Cutting foam with a scissor is possible as long as it's less than 1.5" in thickness. Anything thicker you want to use an electric knife.
Stapled to the back, and ready to be covered with fabric. P.s. I used some batting behind the foam to five it more volume.
After the fabric was stapled on, I went along the edges with some trim (made out of the same fabric I used for the buttons).
To avoid decorative nails to bend, and scratch up I used a changeable screwdriver without any bits in it. It fits right over the nail head and I was able to hammer them and not leave a mark.

Betty @ Oh Everything Handmade

• Chalky-Cheek

Gorgeous! Certainly not your first chair, you're very good at it. Think I'll start off w/a stool...something small. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Bev Wright

Beautiful. Great transformation.