How To Make Beautiful DIY Paint Pour Art For Your Walls

$25

Have you ever wanted to try some DIY paint pour art, but maybe been intimidated? I promise it’s a fun and easy way to make a colorful abstract piece of art for your home or for gifting. Just a warning: it’s very addictive.

Start off by gathering your supplies (all links are in the blog post).

Choose your paint and pouring mediums:

• Pouring mediums Option 1, Option 2, Option 3
  • Any regular acrylic paints in your fave colors

Or you can go the super easy route and buy a pre-mixed set of paint ready for pouring

• Canvas
  • Disposable cups
  • Plastic drop cloth
  • Disposable paint stirrers (if you don’t buy pre-mixed paint)

I’ll start with the easiest method using the pre-mixed paints

Take your pre-mixed paints in your favorite color combos and pour about 1-2 inches of paint on at a time into your disposable cup.

Don’t think too hard about this step. Just carefully pour all of your desired colors into the cup one at a time.

Make sure you use enough paint to cover your canvas—a little extra is better. I even added a little bit of gold and blue acrylic paint that wasn’t pre-mixed with the pouring medium. There are no rules!

Take your canvas and put it on top of your drop cloth, paper towel, or paper bag—whatever you have on hand.

Once your cup is filled slowly pour it over your canvas any way you wish. There is no right or wrong way—all trial and error and a personal preference.

Take the canvas, hold it on its side, and slowly start to move the paint around the canvas. This is the most fun part!

Keep spinning it until you’re happy and/or the paint stops moving—whichever comes first.

Take any object that sits firmly on the ground and set your canvas on top of it to dry. Make sure you keep your drop cloth under it to catch the drips that fall while the painting dries.

Let it dry and admire the easiest DIY paint pour art ever to exist.

In my experience the first one is never my favorite, so I kept going.

This time I’ll show you how to make your paint pour using acrylic paint you already have on hand mixed with the pouring medium.

Gather 4-5 of your favorite acrylic colors, the same number of disposable cups (plus 1), and your paint pouring medium

Pour each individual color of paint into an individual disposable cup.

Next, add the pouring medium to each cup.

Stir until both are blended. Repeat this step for each cup.

And ummm…I have issues with paint hands and probably should wear gloves, ha!

Anyway…

Take your 4 individual paints and pour them all into one cup—just as you did with the first example—and then repeat all of the above steps. Easy peasy!

I love how unique and inexpensive these DIY paint pour canvases are!

Here are a few others that I made within 30 minutes.

On this one I used a more flat canvas board, so I experimented with using a clipboard to hold it, and I’m kinda loving it. again, no rules!

And here’s a variation of the first example with more subtle colors. So fresh and pretty!

And finally one using regular acrylic paints mixed with the pouring medium in more subdued colors. I wanted to try using less of the canvas on this one.

So easy! I need to find a place for each piece in our home stat.

What do you think? Are you going to make your own DIY paint pour art? I really recommend it!

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Audrey Kuether

• Christina

How much pouring medium did you add?

• Tina Camire
      3 minutes ago

If you want to save some money(most pouring medium is expensive) go to home depot and get flood floetrol. 50/50 is good for liquid acrylics. Tube acrylics i usually use a little more.

• Carol de la Fuente

My question is did you do anything to seal the canvas that is exposed??? For instance painting or sealing the canvas before pouring the other paints on??? If I missed this, I apologize. The colors and paints are really beautiful!!! Great job!!!

• Patrice Rodda

Shouldn’t the entire canvas be covered in paint?

• Satiety

I've painted my white canvas white, then poured on it to help the paint move over it. I've also prepainted corners and edges for those parts that just wont cover when tilting.