Kids Growth Ruler

$5

We used to mark how tall the kids are inside the closet wall, now we have a Kid’s Growth Ruler! This is a much better option to keep record of kid’s growth. Also they have a lot of fun measuring how tall they are. It’s amazing to see how fast kids grow.

This is a very simple project to do for a beginner. You just need 1x6 board, stain, sharpie and adhesive numbers.

For more picture visit our website TheDIYPlan

Step-1 Cut 1x6 Board

Take 1x6 board and cut it to 84” long. You could make this any length you want. I cut it at 84” because I wanted the board to be same elevation as the door. Than using a random orbital sander, sand the board on all sides.

Step-2 Pre-Stain and Stain

On a small project like this, instead of using a brush for staining, I just use Shop Paper Towels. I don’t have to clean the brushes. So first, Pre-stain the boards, then after 10 minutes, apply the Stain. Follow instruction on the can for both Pre-stain and Stain for best results.

Step-3 Measure and Mark

Next, pull a measuring tape and mark every inch on the board with a pencil. Then draw thick lines using oil based black sharpie over the pencil marks. To draw the lines straight I used a Construction Square as a guide. To make this look like an ruler, I made the lines three different lengths. Starting from 0 up, numbers 0, 12 have 2” long lines. Numbers 3, 6, and 9 have 1 ½” long lines. Numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 have 1” long lines.

Step-4 Apply Matte Polyurethane

Once you’re done with drawings the ruler lines, apply a coat of matte Polyurethane. Let it dry for few hours, then with a fine grit sand paper (300 and up) sand the board lightly. Wipe off the dust and then apply a second coat of Polyurethane.

Step-5 Tape on Adhesive Numbers

For the actual feet numbers I used 1" Self Stick Numbers that I had left over from cornhole scoreboard project.

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
TheDIYPlan

• Eva
    Eva

Wow this is a very nice project, specially when are kids in the house

• Trudi
    Trudi

Made one of these many years ago for a friend with 4 kids in a rental. She let each of the kids pick a marker color to use on charting their growth. I got the idea from another friend who had hers that her dad had made in the 1950's. She put it up in her sons room to compare their growth. I think they are so cool. Great job.