Kids Growth Ruler

$5

We used to mark how tall the kids are inside the closet wall, now we have a Kid’s Growth Ruler! This is a much better option to keep record of kid’s growth. Also they have a lot of fun measuring how tall they are. It’s amazing to see how fast kids grow.

This is a very simple project to do for a beginner. You just need 1x6 board, stain, sharpie and adhesive numbers.

For more picture visit our website TheDIYPlan

Step-1 Cut 1x6 Board

Take 1x6 board and cut it to 84” long. You could make this any length you want. I cut it at 84” because I wanted the board to be same elevation as the door. Than using a random orbital sander, sand the board on all sides.

Step-2 Pre-Stain and Stain

On a small project like this, instead of using a brush for staining, I just use Shop Paper Towels. I don’t have to clean the brushes. So first, Pre-stain the boards, then after 10 minutes, apply the Stain. Follow instruction on the can for both Pre-stain and Stain for best results.

Step-3 Measure and Mark

Next, pull a measuring tape and mark every inch on the board with a pencil. Then draw thick lines using oil based black sharpie over the pencil marks. To draw the lines straight I used a Construction Square as a guide. To make this look like an ruler, I made the lines three different lengths. Starting from 0 up, numbers 0, 12 have 2” long lines. Numbers 3, 6, and 9 have 1 ½” long lines. Numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 have 1” long lines.

Step-4 Apply Matte Polyurethane

Once you’re done with drawings the ruler lines, apply a coat of matte Polyurethane. Let it dry for few hours, then with a fine grit sand paper (300 and up) sand the board lightly. Wipe off the dust and then apply a second coat of Polyurethane.

Step-5 Tape on Adhesive Numbers

For the actual feet numbers I used 1" Self Stick Numbers that I had left over from cornhole scoreboard project.

TheDIYPlan

• Kathy

You specifically said to use an "oil based Sharpie pen". Is that any different from the black Sharpie Permanent marker pens you can pick up anywhere, or is this a special Sharpie pen? Thanks for sharing the great idea!

• TheDIYPlan

I'm sure you could use a regular black sharpie. The oil based sharpie that i used has ink inside and it flows out when you press on the tip. The regular sharpie might dry out fast, so you might need to have two sharpies.

• Cherie

This is gorgeous, an instant heirloom - love it!!! Thank you for sharing with us.