TheDIYPlan
TheDIYPlan
  • Elk Grove, CA

PVC Fence

$25

In our background I wanted to build a PVC fence that goes from post to post of a patio. Originally, I build the fence out of wood but it only lasted 3 years and then started to rot because of the rain. So I decided to rebuild it using PVC pipe. The PVC pipe should last a lot longer and the price is not much different from the wood fence.

The instructions below are for just one panel. So if you decide to build this PVC fence and you need more than one panel then you’ll need to do the math for additional material.

For more picture visit our website TheDIYPlan

Step-1 Measuring and Cutting Rails

Depending on your needs the rail length might be different than what I’m providing, but in my case, I needed the fence penal to be 77 1/2". So the first step was to cut the 3" round PVC pipe to 77 1/2" (x2).  You don’t need to have a special blade to cut PVC pipe. I just used my miter saw to cut the pipe using regular blade that cuts wood.

Step-2 Drilling Holes for Pickets

Now both the upper and lower rails need holes drilled for 3/4" PVC pipe pickets. At the time of building this PVC fence, I only had manual drill press available. I built a jig and attached the manual drill press on top to drill the holes at 90 degrees. An electric drill press would probably work better than what I had available.

Starting from one end, pull a measurement of 3 5/8" and make a mark. This will be the center of the first hole, after that, the holes are every 5" from center to center. The outside diameter of 3/4" PVC picket pipe is 1 1/16". So you will need 1 1/16" hole saw bit for drilling these holes. I clamped the 3" pipe to the table using Tektron C-clamp so that pipe will not move or rotate. Then slide the jig across to each mark and dill the holes.

Step-3 Cutting Pickets

Once you have both upper and lower rails complete and all of the holes drilled, cut 15 pickets. Take 3/4" PVC pipe and cut it to 32" long using PVC cutter. There will be 15 of these pickets.

Step-4 Screws for Bottom Rail Stopper

Place a mark 4" from the bottom of the picket PVC and screw in a Hex Washer Head Metal Screw 7 x 1/2 at that mark. This will prevent the lower rail from sliding past the screw. Do this on all of the 15 pickets.

Step-5 Inserting Bottom Rail

Slide the pickets thru the holes of the lower 3" pipe rail. The 1/2" screw will prevent the rail from dropping down to the floor.

Step-6 Screws for Top Rail Stopper

Similar to step 5, but now place a mark 6" from the top of each picket and screw in the 1/2" screw at that mark. The upper screws need to be facing the same direction as the lower screws.

Step-7 Top Rail and End Caps

For the last step, slide the pickets thru the upper rail. The screws will hold the rail from sliding down. Place the PVC end caps on top. Spray paint the entire PVC fence panel. You're done.

TheDIYPlan

• Laurel Wiers Jacobs

How is each finished section attached to the end post?

• TheDIYPlan

Hi Laurel, Its not attached to the post. Its standing on the concrete. Please see previous comments with similar questions. thanks

• Jim

How did you align the holes with the jig covering the pipe?

• TheDIYPlan

Hi Jim, you’ll see a small pencil mark in the center of the jig. I used a square to transfer that mark directly on the pipe itself. Once I drill the holes on the top, I rotate the pipe 180 degrees aligning pencil mark of the pipe with the jig. You just need to clamp the pipe to the table so that it doesn’t move when you drill the holes.

• Michael

How do you add other panels ex. Panel. Post. Panel.