Magnetic Cement Planter Tutorial and Video

$20

These magnetic cement planters are so easy to make, you actually won't believe how easy they are. I came up with this idea last summer when working on one of my other cement planter projects, which you can see on my blog at this link- Mini Cement Balloon Planters. I was trying to figure out how I could make tiny round cement/ concrete planters and it occurred to me I could use plastic bouncy balls! So cool, right?

magnetic cement planter tutorial and video

You can even make these without magnets and just sit them on a table top. They may turn slightly to one side, but not enough for the plants or soil to fall out. I added pigments to these, but you could also leave them plain.

** This is a brief version of this post- to read this post in full, please visit the full post at ArtsyPrettyPlants.com.**

Magnetic Cement Planters Video Tutorial

STEP 1:

Slice the top of the bouncy ball with the X-acto knife. Slice it horizontally.

STEP 2:

Add the cement to your disposable bowl, and add some water. Then, using either the craft sticks or your gloved hand mix the cement. Be sure to mix the cement in small batches.

The cement mixture should be mouldable and also fluid enough that it attaches to the sides of the plastic ball. If you are using gloves to mix, then the gloves I have linked to are seriously great and are very unlikely to tear.

STEP 3:

Scoop up some cement mixture and put it into the ball. You’ll need enough that the ball is half full. Then work your way around the ball with your finger, pushing it against the sides. The cement should be about ¼” thick.

** This is where you add the pigment to get the marbled look. Please visit the post on my site to get the details, or see the video above. If you like the video, please subscribe to my channel for more cement tutorials.

STEP 4:

Position the magnet (remember, you must use very strong magnets (in materials below) around the mid-point of the plastic ball where the line is.

Try to get the magnet as close to the plastic as possible, it’s okay if there is no cement between it and the plastic ball. On the inside though, you will want to cover it with cement.

I’m not a plant expert and it may not matter, but it seems like keeping the magnet away from the soil could be a safer bet for keeping the plants alive.

STEP 5:

Now smooth everything out and make sure the cement at the top of the ball isn’t too thin. Try to make the cement nice and even all the way around. Next take a Q-tip and push two drainage holes in the bottom.

Place the balls onto something cylindrical like a small glass, I used leftover pieces of PVC pipe. This will help the ball keep it’s round shape while it’s curing.

The round cement planter should be cured in an hour.

STEP 6:

Use the X-acto to remove the plastic from the cement planter. Start at the top, keep the blade pointing away from you and slice away from the cement. Try to go a little past the mid-point line, then you can use your fingers to peel the plastic off.

Please visit the full, detailed post on my site, linked near the top of this post, for ALL the details.

Artsy Pretty Plants

• Shirley
    Yesterday

Love them, though my fridg is grandkid art show ( maybe magnets will be strong enough for both plant and paper.) My question is, when you peel away ball doesn't it take the magnet with it?

• Hi Shirley,

I'm sure your fridge is a blue-ribbon award winning art show though.  The magnet doesn't go all the way through. That magnet is so stuck in there when the cement is cured that it won't come out.

• If you add drainage holes you’ll need to keep the planters placed on a dish or in a sink until they’ve completely drained?

• Hi, yes. I water them on my kitchen countertop and wait a bit before I put them back up. They don’t usually leak much dirt though anyway.

• Dottie Pacheco
    Yesterday

What kind of cement do you use

• Alma Hicks
    Yesterday

I would use a tennis ball myself.

• Brenda McCloy
    4 minutes ago

Shirley, every time I saw a pic with you using the knife, the blade was pointed toward your hand. If you slip, or if one of the folks who do this slip, it could be a very painful visit to the ER. Other than that, I love the idea.