Cement Sneaker Planter

$20

I saw a cement planter that someone made using a rain boot and I thought it would be really cute to make a planter out of a Converse high top sneaker. I love experimenting with unique shapes of existing items to make planters out of. Why not a cement sneaker planter?

My biggest challenge was actually just trying to find cheap high top converse sneaks. I was hoping to find an old pair at a Goodwill, but I skipped the trip and took the easy way out and ended up getting a pair on eBay for 12 bucks.

cement sneaker planter

This is a great project for making a quick and unique planter!

---Please note, this is the short version of this tutorial, for all details please visit my DIY tutorials website at ArtsyPrettyPlants.com.

STEP 1:

cement sneaker planter

Create drainage holes using a drill. Start with a smaller drill bit and then switch it out to a larger one.

I had one hole that was in a spot much thicker than the rest where I had to make several passes.

STEP 2:

cement sneaker planter

Take the markers and push them through the holes so that only the cap is left inside.

Make sure the open end of the cap is on the underside so that cement doesn’t get inside it and that it’s not sticking out of the bottom too far. You want the sneaker to stand flat, so if the marker is sticking out it will impede your ability to coat it with cement.

STEP 3:

cement sneaker planter

Mix the cement with water. You want the consistency to be like a milkshake.

STEP 4:

cement sneaker planter

Pour it into the sneaker to coat the inside. Be sure to get all the fabric coated so water doesn’t seep through and create mold. After the inside is coated, use your hands to scoop the cement onto the outside of the sneaker.

Keep going around the sneaker until it’s fully coated. Be sure to get the laces, under the laces and the tongue.

STEP 5:

cement sneaker planter

Next wipe the cement off of any spots with rubber. Start with a dry paper towel, then use a wet one. I wanted the Converse logo to be visible, so I also wiped that off.

Let it cure. This can take 1 to 3 hours, depending on temperature and humidity of your working environment. I actually put mine in the sun to speed up curing time.

NEXT STEPS:

*Please visit my full, detailed tutorial on my website to see how to finish this project.*

cement sneaker planter

cement sneaker planter

Artsy Pretty Plants

• Chrissy mcneill

So cute...but why don't you just take the insoles out? Then just drill the holes and stick a twig through to keep the holes open? Then I think the mold problem would be much less of an issue because you took out all the fabric insole and padding. Just a thought. And really cute idea!!!

• Annette

These are too cute.

• Deb

You are a very creative thinker.what a darling idea