Broken Foot Stool Becomes Bathroom Storage Shelf

$4

I picked up this little broken foot stool online for free. I just loved the wood details and though for sure with my mad DIY skills I could fix this right up, add new upholstery, and call it a day. But it didn’t quite work out that way.

Broken foot stool

The broken leg was in far worse shape than I had hoped. It kind of resembled a half-eaten turkey drumstick! And no matter how hard I tried, there was no way this was ever going to be strong enough to hold up.  

Badly broken leg

After giving up on my plan to fix it, I wondered if I could re-purpose this piece somehow. After much contemplation, I thought maybe a shelf?

So the first step was to remove the 3 remaining legs. They actually cracked apart at the base when I removed the screws. This piece was in pretty bad shape!  

The next step was to remove the upholstery. I used a little screwdriver pry bar to remove the upholstery tacks. Then there were tiny pins below that layer that I removed with plyers. And more after that. So many pins! It took me roughly 2 hours to remove all the fabric, padding, pins and tacks!  

Removing the upholstery

Turns out it had been upholstered 3 times. And the very first layer of padding was hay!!!! I never knew hay was used as furniture cushioning at some point in history. How bizarre!

(Update: my fellow hometalkers have identified this as either straw or excelsior - not hay! :)

Hay!

So these were the layers:

• hay
  • brown fabric
  • a liner
  • green velour fabric
  • sponge padding
  • pink vinyl 

Wowzers!

So many layers!

Once the upholstery was removed I filled the gazillion nail/tack holes with wood filler and sanded.

So many holes!

I wanted to try and incorporate a couple of those beautiful legs somehow, so I used a rotary tool to sand down the jagged edges to get them as flat and smooth on one side as possible. 

Then I filled all the screw holes with wood filler and sanded.  

I also rounded the edges of the ‘feet’ with the rotary sander.

Creating a flat side

The inside of the shelf (which was the underside of the stool originally) I white washed. I mixed a tsp of water with a tsp of white paint and brushed it on with a little chip brush and let it seep into the wood.

White washed inside

Then I painted the frame and the legs with a medium grey. 

I mixed 2 parts light grey with 1 part dark grey to create this colour (I call it dolphin grey).  

Medium grey

I wanted the wood to look weathered, so I dry brushed it 3 times in this order:

• chocolate brown
  • dark grey
  • light grey 
Weathered paint job

Then I glued the legs to the front of the shelf, clamped it and left it to dry overnight.

Legs glued to the frame

Once the glue dried I did one final very light handed dry brush with white paint, focusing on the beautiful wood details.

And now it was ready to hang! 

I attached D rings to the back of the frame. Then hung it on the wall using screws and plugs.

Once it was up I perched two cute little dollar store birds on top of the ‘legs.’

Cute little birds!

I’m so glad I found a way to keep this piece out of the landfill. 

Even though I wasn't capable of restoring it to it's original form, I’m sure I’ll be appreciating those beautiful carved details for many years to come. :)

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Hope
    Hope

So Cute!! You have a great imagination...I would not have thought of making a stool into a cute shelf. Love those little birds!!

• Valerie Burge
      Valerie Burge

Thank you, Hope! I find if I keep something around long enough, sometimes I can eventually see it through different eyes. LOL

• Sherry
    Sherry

Love those legs, gorgeous