Sarah
Sarah
  • Ireland

Double Oven Mitt Crochet Pattern

$25

What is better than a good oven mitt? A good oven mitt that lets you use both hands! No more trying to lift heavy dishes with one hand, or scrambling for a second hot pad – this crochet two-handed oven mitt is all you will ever need.This crochet oven mitt would make a perfect holiday gift for friends and family, but I’m kind of betting that when you see how useful it is you might just want to keep it for yourself There are two components to the oven mitt, each crocheted with a different stitch pattern designed to suit their purpose:

1. Two hot pads – these are worked with the Single Crochet Thermal Stitch which gives a durable, thick fabric – ain’t no heat getting through these hot pads!
  2. The center panel and gloves – the center panel joins the hot pads together and the a glove lays over the top of each hot pad. These are all crocheted with a simple alternating dc/sc pattern

For this pattern I decided to work 2 strands of the yarn together, just to ensure that the finished product was extra durable and safe for handling hot dishes straight out of the oven.

Notes

ConstructionThe oven mitt is worked in three parts:
  1. Hot pad #1 + Center panel + Hot pad #2 (all worked in one piece length ways)
  2. Glove panels x 2
No seaming is required; the panels are joined at the end using the Reverse SC stitch

Gauge notesI wanted the hot pad to be very thick and very tightly woven.Crocheting two strands of DK cotton yarn with a 5mm hook is not the easiest but it does give a very tight fabric.If you are finding it really difficult to crochet with this size hook consider going up a size, just be aware that your finished project will have different measurements.

Finished Measurements

The finished measurements are approx. 32” (L) x 6.5” (W).
This is based on working 2 strands of 100% cotton DK weight at the same time. You could easily use a heavier weight yarn as long as it is 100% cotton, but please note that your finished measurements could vary depending on the yarn choice.
Due to the nature of the different stitch patterns used – the single crochet thermal stitch (which is very tightly woven) and a simple sc/dc pattern (which is looser) – the hot pad and glove panels may end up to be slightly different in size. This is not a problem as the stitch counts on both still match up and once the panels have been joined it looks fine.

Pattern Overview

The full written pattern, including full stitch tutorials is available here: https://nedandmimi.com/double-oven-mitt-crochet-pattern/

1. Crochet two hot pads and center panel in one piece

Hot pads and center panel complete

2. Crochet the two glove panels separately

Hot pads and gloves before assembly

3. Working from left to right, join each glove to each hot pad using Reverse Single Crochet stitches

4. Fasten off and weave in ends. All done!

Sarah

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

What is reverse single crochet stitch? How is it made? I’ve never heard of it before.

• Sarah

Thank you McLyn for such an accurate description! Yes Kim, reverse sc is just single crochet worked from left to right instead of right to left. It's a bit tricky for the first couple of stitches but pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. It's good for edging and also for joining pieces together (say, two crochet panels for a pillow cover) if you don't feel like seaming :-)

• Dianne

I get several crochet pattern newsletters. This pattern (your newsletter?) came to me one day, and my computer was acting up terribly. I lost the pattern. I've scoured the web trying to find this pattern ever since that day. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting it here. My lucky day!! I'm making these for gifts. Soooo happy!! Great idea and good pattern! Thanks, thanks, thanks!!

• Stacey

I will be making these and giving them out for Christmas presents. Thank you for sharing!!

• Sarah

Be sure to send me some pics when you're done Stacey!