Asked on Sep 28, 2019

Why is the paint still scratching off my primed, spray-painted tin?

Lifestyles HomesKmdreamerPamela
+7

I primed a clean floor polish tin can with two coats of appropriate spray primer then sprayed it with colour. The first time I put something in it, it scratched. Why is the DIY world conspiring against me?! These tin can crafts are all a lie!😫

• Pamela
    Pamela

Hi ! Did you scuff the surface with sand paper first ? And more importantly , did you put on a clear coat or two , to protect your work ?

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

I don’t know what a Floor Polish Tin Can is. Is this a steel can that had floor polish in it?

What I call a tin can is actually a coated steel can. The coating is often a plastic-based High-Temp coating, so that the contents don’t rust the steel.

Galvanizing is another coating (zinc) that needs special “treatment”.

I would both chemically & physically abraid the coating. I would use fine sand paper & thoroughly sand off what’s there, wipe down with vinegar, let dry and sand it again with clean sand paper. Vinegar wipe & then vinegar soak for 20 minutes. Then dry thoroughly.

Then re-Prime & re-paint.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

You need to ruff up the surface so the paint sticks

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

like with sand paper

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

Yes, fine sand paper & wipe clean with vinegar.