Megan
Megan
  • Paragould, AR

How to Make Your Own Resin Geode Coasters

$15

Resin Geodes are on the rise! I was just listening to Lisa Rickert CEO/ Creative Director of Jolie Paints and Ave Home this past Friday talk about how the things that she and other designers are seeing at market are TONS of geodes, crystals and agate rocks.

With the Geode trend on the rise I thought it would be fun to share with you all the EASIEST way I have found to make Geode coasters with resin. Before this way you would have to make your own molds out of silicone caulk to create a geode shape then fill the shape with resin. This method is/was time consuming and you had to be extremely careful to make sure that your resin did not leak underneath your caulk.

Go to shopresinmolds.com for the geode resin coaster mold!

Supplies to making Resin Geode Coasters

1. Stonecoat countertops Quick Coat (dries in about 15 minutes)
  2. Resin Coaster Mold (from shopresinmolds.com)
  3. heat gun
  4. gold metallic paint pen
  5. mica powders
  6. disposable cups
  7. popsicle sticks
  8. disposable gloves

Steps to Making Your Own Resin Geode Coasters

NOTE: Wear gloves!

Begin by Pouring the Resin A into a disposable cup. I pour to the first line of the cup. In a NEW cup pour the Hardener B to the first line of a disposable cup (equal amounts in both cups). Pour A into B and stir with the popsicle stick for 2 minutes.

Geode coaster resin mold
Geode coaster resin mold

After resin has been stirred for two minutes you can add your favorite Mica Powder! (This part is like adding chocolate chips to your chocolate chip cookie dough batter. You do it LAST do not stir it in at the beginning.) Stir Mica powder with popsicle stick just until blended. The more powder you add the more color you will have in your resin geode coasters.

Adding Mica Powder
Adding Mica Powder

Stir mica powder just until incorporated. After mica powder has been stirred into resin you are ready to pour into your molds! YAE! It's getting exciting! 

pouring resin
pouring resin

Pour resin into each mold. Make sure mold is on a flat surface so that as it dries it will dry in an even layer.

heat gun helps to pop tiny bubbles in resin

Next take your heat gun and blow over the resin. You will see little tiny bubbles that were in the resin start to pop. This is also a great way to create designs. You can maneuver the resin with the warm air from the heat gun. 

Let Resin completely dry. Overnight is best. Once resin is completely dry you are ready to remove coasters from mold! Great job! You did it!

Remove coasters from mold and add gold metallic to the edges with your paint pen. This adds a little bit more depth to your resin coasters! Great job!

how to make your own resin geode coasters

These resin Geode coasters are GREAT gifts for the upcoming holiday season! 

If you have any questions about creating your own resin geode coasters leave a comment below! 

I've also made cobalt blue geode coasters! You can too! Use a cobalt blue mica powder.

Yes they hold cups!

Megan

• Kris

Love the blue ones! I have never tried using resin but I’m building up my nerve! Something small would be best I’m assuming to get my feet wet, do you agree?

Thanks for your share!

• Megan

Hi Kris! Yae! Thank you for your positivity! Yes something small is the way to go! My first experience with resin was when I decided to resurface our countertops. I botched it twice until the third try when I finally got it right!

Resin is unbelievably durable! We have 5 kiddos and our countertops are still in amazing shape after two years! I'll drop a pic below of of some recent countertops I did with resin in a new home!

It's not too hard as long as you measure and mix correctly. :) You can totally do it! A small project like coasters is a great way to familiarize yourself with this medium.

• Claire

These are beautiful! I WAs looking up the items to do this project and I can’t seem to find the first item for under $30. The project says it costs $15 though. Where can the items be purchased cheaper?

• Nancy Goff-Waddell

You said on doing your counter, it took 3 times to get it right. If you do need up, is it easy to take off and try again. ?

• Megan

It depends how you mess it up.....lol. Our kitchen has a small built in desk that also has the laminate countertop over it. I took off that small piece of laminate countertop and practiced on it. I mixed my resin wrong the first two times. So the resin NEVER cured and it had sticky spots everywhere! It also turned yellow in places because I did not mix it properly! Once I understood how to mix it properly there were no problems! :)

Thankfully I could just scrape it off lightly sand and start the entire process over!

Here is a post on some of out kitchen countertop makeover. :)

https://letspaintfurniture.com/how-to-resurface-kitchen-countertops/

• Pam

The coasters are really beautiful, but I agree, the term "geode" seems to be a misnomer. There's nothing in the shape or color that's reminds me of a geode but I really like them, no matter what they re called. A coaster by any other name would hold a cup as sweet....

• Holly Arnold

Love them! One question, do you mix up enough resin for all four at one time or do each one separately?