DIY Succulent Tree

$5

Last year we had such a hot summer that one of my tree fern did not survive. Weeks of 40+ degree celsius were just to much with the added fact that I did not water it as much as I should have. The thought of digging out the roots were not happy ones. So I repurposed it into a succulent tree instead.

This area of my garden does get full blown sun so succulents I felt were a perfect choice of plant.

Succulent Tree

To start cut away all the died branches, so you have space for your succulents.

To add support for the succulents and keep the soil from washing away in the rain, you can use a hanging basket liner. It looks like it is made from coconut fibre. Cut out a triangle shape big enough to go into the area you have in mind.

Succulent Tree

Put the coconut fibre liner into the gaps, using the branches to hold it in place. The point of the triangle is folded up at the end to keep the soil from falling out. The liner will also hold water to keep the soil moist. Next, add soil suitable for succulents and put in your plant.

Succulent Tree

Start at the top and work your way down. It is easier to cut away the branches you don’t need as you go along. Don’t cut the branches right down to the base, they help to keep the soil in place.

Succulent Tree

Repeat the same process until all your succulents are planted.

Succulent Tree

I did not plant right down to the bottom because the top layers block all the sun. If they thrive as they do in my pots I will go back at a later stage and add more to the lower part of the tree.

Succulent Tree

To finish off the succulent tree I bought some new decorative bark for the flowerbed. To water the plants a spray bottle works great, they don’t like too much water.

Succulent Tree

It has been a couple of months since I completed this succulent tree. I will update this post with more pictures as they grow. 

Succulent Tree

Looking for more great ideas check out these project tutorials below.

Wooden suncatcher made from an off cut of wood and resin.

Reverse canvas sign decorated using mixed media technique.

Unique Creations By Anita

• Jjqq

i always thought succulents should not be kept in direct sunlight - but sounds like I have it backwards . How many hours of sun can they take? This looks amazing

• Angi

😂😂😂 I'm sorry. I'm laughing because birds dangnabbit, lol, but I'm sorry. I love the idea of what you did.

• Lajuana Longoria

This looks great! Please please tell me where you got that little chimenea. Please!

• Jennifer

Anita, you don't really experience a true winter it seems. Your succulents should be just fine where you live. I just wanted to make sure for those who want to copy what you created but reside in a true four-season climate and have temps dip below freezing, the succulents may not live through the colder temps unless you keep them heated to a certain degree.

• Rene Jantz

This is so cool