DIY Rustic Steer Sign From Old Shelving

$10

Today I would like to share with you my DIY rustic steer sign that I made from an old shelving piece. I recently purchased a television cabinet from my local Goodwill for $1.00 and repurposed it into a storage cabinet for my studio. You can see all the details by clicking here! I did not use one of the shelving pieces; therefore, I wanted to put it to good use.

Old Shelving Piece
Old Shelving Piece

Wall Stickers from Hobby Lobby

I had recently found these wall stickers at Hobby Lobby on clearance. I never pass up a clearance item. The original price was $15.99, and I got them for $3.99. There are three wall stickers included, so a little over a dollar each.

Hobby Lobby Wall Stickers
Hobby Lobby Wall Stickers

Supply Listfor Rustic Steer Sign

Now, onto the project! Here is the supply list. 

Piece of Shelving (You could use a piece of wood or anything laying around that is flat and square)

White Waverly Chalk Paint (Walmart)

Wall Stickers (Hobby Lobby)

Scrap Wood Strips

Minwax Stain in English Chestnut

Wooster Silvertip Paintbrush

Polycrylic Spray

Small Finishing Nails

220-grit sandpaper 

Old Shelf to Rustic, Boho Wall Decor

I wiped down the piece of shelving with a damp cloth. After it dried, I applied one coat of white paint.

One Coat of White Paint
One Coat of White Paint

It took only two coats of white for my DIY rustic steer sign. I then lightly sanded the surface with my 220-grit sandpaper to smooth it. Afterward, I sprayed a light coat of Polycrylic. It is vital to apply the poly and allow it to dry before you apply the wall sticker. By doing this, it will keep the paint from peeling off if you need to adjust the wall sticker.

Applying the Wall Sticker

We measured from side to side, and top to bottom to find the center. The Hubs then applied the sticker.

Applying the Wall Sticker
Applying the Wall Sticker

He then took a few wood strips out of our scrap pile and trimmed them to make a frame for the outside of the sign.

Scrap Wood
Scrap Wood

I gave each piece a light sanding and then applied the stain.

Scrap Wood Stained
Scrap Wood Stained

Once the frame was completely dry, the Hubs attached it to the shelving piece with small finishing nails. He just simply nailed each piece to the outside of the shelving piece. (Sorry I do not have a photo.  He did this step when I wasn't home and forgot to take a picture).

I love attaching wood to my DIY crafts. You can see my Pumpkin Sign that I made by clicking here.

I love the way it turned out! My granddaughter loved this for her wall. 😊

Boho Rustic Steer Sign
Boho Rustic Steer Sign

The Hubs and I would love for you to visit the blog! We are always working on DIY projects and would love for you to join the journey! Jump on over and see us at

https://www.christinafayerepurposed.com!

Christina

xxoo

Christina Faye Repurposed