Asked on Sep 29, 2019

How can I make over an antique vanity?

Aiden WilliamEllisFlipturn
+14

Not sure how or what to do with this vanity. The only thing I do know I don't want to spend a bunch of money. It also has a round mirror, that I do have.Please help and lord knows I need all I can get.

The mirror mounts on here, this picture is the back.

• Pat

No answer, but I had one of those in my bedroom growing up.

• DonnerMaine

Go two-tone.

Just sand it all down a bit.

Remove and number the drawers. No 2 drawers on Handmade furniture fit the same!

Stain the drawers. Don’t touch the sides of the drawers or they might always stick.

And maybe stain that raised design in the middle.

Use 2 coats of chalk paint on the rest and a coat of wax for chalk paint you wipe on.

Heres a Victorian piece i updated with a tall mirror that bolts on.

• Lisa S.

Try covering scratches with Restore-A -Finish. Only 9.00 a can

• Flipturn

Your vanity is the Waterfall style, which was very popular especially for bedroom furniture in the 30's and 40's pre war years. It appears to be missing a small top shelf, which at one time could very likely have been glass.

For inspiration here's how others have made over other pieces.

https://www.pinterest.ca/sidenise/waterfall-furniture/

• Sheri

Flipturn, I appreciate all your that have shared with me especially about the veneer I would have never known. I would also like to let you know I welcome anymore and all of your knowledge on this project and any other that you choose to share. Thank you very informative.

• Ellis

No ideas what to do with it, but a relative had this same vanity, plus matching dresser with mirror, chiffarobe, bed and nightstand, purchased when she got married in 1940. The vanity also had a matching chair.

• Ellis

Thank you for the excerpts. It's true, our parents/grandparents married in those days did usually have to live in THEIR parents' homes to start--the young couple who owned the set I knew of didn't get to establish their own home until the groom returned from service in WWII.

Learning about this was fascinating--and the prices quoted are amazing.

• Aiden William

Hey! You can furnish this antique vanity. Polish it again with VV3 paint. This can make your vanity luxury. For more information visit https://www.silvawardrobeco.com.au/