Steffi Wood
Steffi Wood
  • Milledgeville, GA

DIY Barn Doors

$400
Advanced

We converted our dining room into a play room since we weren't using it much and need an area for our children to play. However, the doorway into it was rather large. It was not really meant for a bedroom door, but we wanted to be able to close it off so we could hide the mess of toys. This is how we came up with the idea to add barn doors. We went to Lowe's and bought the wood, it required tongue and groove and 1x4's and 1x6's. We also got a sander, primer, and paint. I ordered the barn door track on amazon. Barn door tracks tend to run very expensive, but I went with the more cost efficient route and bought them on amazon. My husband began began by removing the trim at the top of the doorway, since it needed a larger piece of trim to put the track on. We used a 1x12 for top piece. He primed and painted it before he put it up. Then he started working on the doors. He had to cut down the tongue and groove and then use a nail gun to start adding the trim and that X pattern on the door. Once he had them assembled, he used putty to fill in the nail holes. Then he sanded the putty down to make it have a smooth finish and began priming the doors. Once he did that, he painted the doors. He then installed the barn doors track on the large piece of trim above the doorway. Next was installing the doors. We then needed a barn door handle, which I found on Signature Hardware. I love how they turned out.

diy barn doors

Before

diy barn doors

Adding the trim to the doors.

diy barn doors
diy barn doors
diy barn doors

Hanging the 1x12 above our door way

diy barn doors

Adding the barn door track to the door.

diy barn doors
diy barn doors
diy barn doors

The handle I bought from Signature Hardware

diy barn doors

The final product

• Greg

Is the X pattern on both sides of the barn door?

• Thelma

Would like to do this to the closet where my washer & dryer are . c an you open the doors from either side.?

• Diana

beautiful... I love the look of the industrial farmhouse hardware!

• Portia

I cant believe he built it so well, very nice job however, I do agree with the comment before in regards to the hardware.