Scrap Wood Sign For Fall

$8

All those cute wood signs were taunting me to buy them but I couldn't justify the prices so I decided to make my own.

I went to my scrap wood pile and pulled out a 1x10 piece that is about 32" long. With a piece of chalk I marked off a 1" border around the edges that I wanted to make sure I did not encroach into with my letters. I counted letters and spaces in my words PUMPKIN PATCH (13) and divided by 2, giving me my middle letter (N) and I drew that on the board first using a pencil. Use a very light hand for erasing purposes. I worked out from the middle to get my letters spaced evenly. At this point I gave my board a wash with white paint and water, a 50/50 mixture, and let it dry.

Once all my letters were on the board I went over it with a fine tip Sharpie, using a ruler to keep my letters straight.

I then used a King Size Sharpie to go over all the downward strokes in my letters to give the font a more calligraphy-ish look.

I purchased pine stop molding for about $1 per foot. I cut it and stained it to frame my sign. The trim wood is thin so I pre-drilled holes for my finish nails then attached to the sign with wood and glue. I put a hanger on the back and hung it up!

Super easy and super fast. If you make a mistake; erase your pencil marks, sand it or flip it over! Don't want to purchase anything? Tape off a 1" border and paint it a contrasting color to mimic a frame.

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
While I Linger

• Cindy Rubin

I had trouble with smearing... any suggestions?

• While I Linger

Did you white wash your board? Did you allow it to dry before putting your letters on or did you try to wash it after you had lettered the board? Did you try to seal it after writing your letters? I spray on a matte finish if using pens. In this case I didn't bother. Also, I will often keep a piece of parchment paper under my hand as I write. Again, I didn't in this case.

• Awilda

What s size are the round ornaments