Chalkboard Playhouse

$25

Turn an ordinary wall into a multi-use space with some chalkboard paint and little imagination.

This is one corner of our kid's playroom. This playroom has been hard for me to figure out a plan and stick with it. It is a multi-use space where we use to watch movies - I say "use to" because the TV was broken when my four year old threw a domino at the screen and scattered it...we have an air hockey table, a small basketball double shot, a HUGE beanbag, and way too many thrift store toys in our room. One thing my kids love to do is play with the kitchen and mark up the walls.

When I thought of doing a playhouse in the corner, I thought how great it would be for them to be able to use it as a chalkboard too. I always wanted a chalkboard wall somewhere in the house.

First, I used a 3' level and a pencil and made sure to draw straight lines on the wall for the house shape I wanted.

Next, I used blue painters tape to tape over my pencil drawing.

I painted the window a light blue from leftover paint from my boy's bedroom (not chalk paint).

Then painted the rest of the house with actual chalk board paint. After I bought this paint, I found out you can actually buy a tintable version so your chalkboard can be any other color but black. I wish I would have known that before and I would have painted the house a different color.

I ended up using almost the whole pint can of my chalk paint. Remove the tape and voila! See that window planter? I actually made a post about how I made that from a $3 wood box that I painted to mimic galvanize metal. Be sure to check out my other post on that but doesn't it look perfect under the window of this chalk house?!

That is my cute, easy, and affordable spin on a DIY playhouse. With a little creativity you could do some many other shapes and ideas with chalkboard paint. A word of caution...now that my kids have actually drawn all over the walls the dust from the chalk does fall onto the baseboards and whatever flooring you have underneath and does not come out easily! The walls wipe clean with a damp rag but the carpet does not come out clean...at least my kids like it.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/within.the.home/

• Debra Athas

I’d love to do this, but I’m wondering what your own basic dimensions were? Very cute and a perfect idea for my granddaughter’s room that has one large accent wall.

• Debra Athas

• Within the Home

great question! I actually didn't measure it before I taped it off, I just eyeballed it and taped it out first to see how it fit scale wise in my room. Rough dimensions mine ended up being is 87" across and 80" to the peak of the roof. The sides before the roof slant were at 57" on top of my 6" baseboards. I hope this helps! This room is quite large so I suggest just taping it off first to get the scale right then go back in and use your straight edge and a pencil to lightly draw it out and then retape over your pencil marks before painting. Good luck! I would love to see how yours turns out!

• Fin7436885

We have tons of old photos in the attic. What can we do to preserve them?

• DN

Wow! Great idea. It looks fantastic and will provide hours of fun for the little ones!

• Miriam I

Oh my goodness - this is SO cute!

• Within the Home

thank you so much! I do wish I would have known about tinting the chalk board paint before I did it black but I think it turned out cute!