Lindsey
Lindsey
  • Gulf Shores, AL

DIY Outdoor Table to Hide a Grinder Pump Well

$50

Why are grinder pump well’s such an eyesore? I figured by now someone would have created a more pleasant way to display (or hide) that lovely round thing on the ground. In our case, the grinder pump well is right next to our porch! Ugh, what a bad design plan. It’s been a year since we moved, and I’m finally going to create an outdoor table to hide a grinder pump well.

Like all utility box’s, I had to find a way to hide it and STILL be able to access it if needed.

I thought about laying large pavers over it. The problem with that is I didn’t want to add too much weight to the top for fear it might cave in. The thought of that makes me squirm.

Now what? I would have to find a way to cover it without putting something directly on top of it.

That’s when I got the brilliant idea to add pavers around it with a table top to create an outdoor table to hide the grinder pump well.

CREATING THE BASE OF OUR OUTDOOR TABLE TO HIDE THE GRINDER PUMP WELL;

I didn’t have to do any pre calculating for the placement of the pavers because I was going to lay them on the outside of the grinder pump well (which is a perfect circle).

The hardest part about creating a perfect circle with the pavers is getting the spacing right for the last paver.

he first layer of pavers is done! I wanted at least two more layers.

I called it quits after I had three layers of pavers! About a week later I was laying in the bed and I had a thought…

On the top of the grinder pump well is a green “vent.” I figured if it came with a vent, then the well needed to “breath.”

Although we’ve never noticed a smell coming from the well, the last thing I wanted was the smell of sewage being trapped in there.

Sorry, I know that’s not a pleasant thought.

That’s when I decided to space the top pavers out by removing three of them.

HOW TO CREATE A TABLE TOP FOR MY DIY OUTDOOR TABLE.

I purchased enough 1 by 8 pressure treated boards to cover the stones with a few extra inches all around.

Next, I measured the dimensions for the circumference of the table top.

I placed a screw in the middle and attached a string with a pen on the end measuring half of the circumference.

Next on the list is to secure them all together with a few pieces of scrap wood.

Word of advice; don’t place your wood too close to the edge because you need enough clearance for the radial saw (or jig saw).

Once you’ve secured the table top together with wood screws, add some wood glue to the seams for extra strength.

Next, grab a radial saw or jig saw (the radial saw works better for a job like this in my opinion) and start cutting the circle.

Next on the list; sanding the table top!

Once I rough sanded enough to be happy with it, I pulled out the paint.

I chose a product from DecoArt called Patio Paint. I chose this paint because it comes in a lot of colors and doesn’t require a topcoat!

I wanted the table top for the outdoor table to be a little more decorative than just a wood slab.

I chose to use the color Daisy Creme for the base.

I chose to reuse the stencil for my outdoor table top.

Almost done!

Don’t look too close because it’s not perfect, but I’m pleased for the most part.

I wanted to find a creative way to add a border on the outside edge of the table top because no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t get a perfect circle. Ugh.

I chose to use....wait for it....baby proofing edge around the table and now I can call it done!

Give me your honest thoughts below. Do you like it? Is it tacky? What would YOU do differently? Be nice now:)

Lindsey**

diy outdoor table to hide a grinder pump well

Lindsey

• Gail

I don't know what a GRINDER PUMP is? After reading I am thinking it's the septic tank? on a septic system? Or does it grind it up before it goes to the septic?  Please define> I'm in Texas and we call them septic but don't know about alabama.

• Mskitty2

So please tell what is a grinder pump well??

• Valleyhomedweller

A grinder pump is a pump that's located at the low spot in your house or in your yard. The pump grinds up the wastewater—much like a garbage disposal—and then pumps it up to the nearest municipal sewer line. The wastewater first gathers in a holding tank.