Snip Off Your Dead Hydrangeas for a New Look!

$5

In this tutorial, you'll learn how to make a beautiful DIY hydrangea wreath using hydrangeas from your yard. The best part is that your hydrangeas can already be turned brown. In fact, you want them to be super dry for this DIY project. This is the perfect project if you missed the window to cut dried hydrangeas because they're way too brown.

Subscribe to my blog A Brick Home for more DIY & decorating projects like this!

It's hard to believe my dead and brown hydrangeas are now a beautiful fall wreath. The best part about this project (aside from how pretty it is) is that it's so budget friendly.

Here's how to make this easy and budget-friendly wreath using hydrangeas from your yard (or your friend's yard!):

STEP 1: CUT DRIED HYDRANGEAS OFF HYDRANGEA BUSH

If you've ever worked with dried hydrangeas, you'll know you can cut them just before they turn brown (usually at some point in September) and let them dry out.

If you miss the window for this and let them dry out too much to the point of them being brown, then this is the project for you!

STEP 2: GATHER MATERIALS

For this project, you'll need:

• your cut hydrangeas
  • grapevine wreath

• spray paint (I used "cinnamon" by Rustoleum
  • any additional paint you might want (I added some splotches of red paint because I wanted them to match my mums that I bought)

STEP 3: SPRAY PAINT YOUR HYDRANGEAS

STEP 4: ADD ANY ADDITIONAL PAINT IF YOU WANT

I added some splotches of red paint using a small paint brush. Note that this did not work that well because the hydrangeas were so dry that when I used a paint brush to tap them, the leaves easily fell off.

It's really best to use spray paint when working with dried flowers.

STEP 5: CUT STEMS & STICK IN WREATH

It's easiest to cut the stems down to the length you need them as you stick them in. When you stick them in a grapevine wreath, you have to play with it a bit to find a good location for the stem to stick into.

Keep inserting them until your wreath is nice and full, like this:

STEP 6: APPLY TOUCH UP PAINT

I used some of the underparts of the hydrangeas that I didn't spray paint, so there's some green and brown sticking out. Just add a little touch up paint and you're finished!

Check out my blog for more fun projects!

Here's how my DIY hydrangea wreath turned out:

I'm super happy with the result, and this was such a cheap project!

Marly Dice @ A Brick Home

• Barb C

Beautiful wreath. Always loved hydrangeas. Have you tried it with a foam wreath ? Does the spray paint help keep the blossoms intact? You mentioned the blossoms falling off when using a paint brush. Will the wreaths last for any length of time. Thanks for any advice.

• Mary

I'm wondering if glycerin would make the hydrangeas less fragile? If you sprayed it on instead of soaking it like I do my grapevine before making the wreath?

• GMS

assume that you cannot put it on an outside door that the rain/bad weather would hit - I would think that would destroy it?

• Rit29752842

Yes, very easy and super economical not to mention beautiful results.

• Diane

Love this idea. I have several hydrangea bushes in my yard. I’m making a wreath....or two. Thanks!