Fun & Colorful Wood Signs

$1
1 Day

Use Dollar Store vinyl window clings to create signs that you can change out from season to season!!

I love to create decor for our home because it's fun and usually saves a lot of money. But sometimes, when it comes to making signs, the materials or equipment needed to make the sign costs almost as much as buying one! On top of that the sign whether purchased or made by hand is only for one season, so then there is even more expense!

So I looked outside the box when I decided to create a couple of fall signs for our front porch this year! Instead of buying stencils I chose Dollar Store window clings. Yes, you read that right. Those bright and colorful vinyl words and images that you can place in your windows for every holiday season.

And that's why I hoped they would work for my signs. Because they were not only inexpensive, they could also save even more money if I could change them out easily from season to season!

Here's how I put it all together. First you'll need pieces of wood for the signs. I wasn't looking for any particular size but you want to make sure that it's wide enough to fit the wording and images you choose. I had some scrap pieces that were the perfect size so I just used them.

Next you will want to paint your wood. (NOTE: I did test this on stained wood but it didn't turn out as well.) I used the dry brush technique with some white paint to give the wood an aged look.

Once the paint was dry I laid out my window clings where I wanted them on the piece of wood. When I had them just right I glued them down with some Mod Podge. (Make sure you use the matte finish as it dries clear without a sheen.)

When each window cling was glued into place, I brushed over them with more Mod Podge to completely set them in place. I then let both signs dry for 1 hour and then I brushed on one more light coat of the Mod Podge. I then allowed the signs to dry completely over night!

At this point you could spray the signs with a clear coat to preserve them but I chose not to. Instead I plan to change them out from season to season with new bright and colorful clings!

All you have to do to remove the clings is wet each one with a bit of water, let it sit for a few minutes and pull up on the corners. They come right off. Then just sand a bit to remove excess glue and reapply new clings! Easy Peasy! And super inexpensive!

Since I had all of the other materials, the only cost were the window clings which I picked up for a $1 a piece! You can find the full tutorial for these easy DIY fall signs over on my blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Julie, Dunnellon Florida

What a clever idea, love it.

• Kari McElderry

Brilliant! But thinking you can't reuse the ones you take off? But hey, they are only $1!

• CD's CountryLiving

Actually I did remove them off the small one initially because I didn’t like the placement. It worked but no guarantees. 😉😀

• Cindy Timms

First of all I would like to say what a cute and clever idea this is ! I was wondering can you put these outside to display & what type of mod podge, I know you had said matte, but is there a certain one ? I absolutely love them and thank you for sharing.

• Woodmarshrose

Cute idea! Also just use a vintage window and paint the back sides of the window panes with glass paint so they are opague (sponging with two colors such as white and blue works great). Then put the cling decor on the front of the glass panes and display or hang. Gives three dimensional effect.

• Marie
    2 hours ago

Great idea. I may try this for the winter.