How do I winterize my potted mandanvilla?

DeeBjb22014730Spanky
+6

I've tried putting 1 in the garage, but it died. I'm considering planting it in the ground and mulch it really well. What do I do?

• Kelli L. Milligan

It all depends what zone you live it. It's tropical so if it freezes where you are, it will die.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Maryann,

Here's a great article that will give you some helpful information about winterizing your plant. I hope it helps you. Wishing you the best.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/mandevilla/winterizing-mandevillas.htm

• Maryann

Really good article. I'm going to try the house plant method since I'm in zone 8. I have few sunny spots in my house. I may have to try Spankys idea. Thanks for your help.

• Placing in garage, in the dark, all winter, with no water, yes it will die. Linda provided an excellent site. And it does matter what zone you are in too.

• Spanky

I'm in Oklahoma, last year I cut mine back and dug it out of the pot. I stored the roots ball in a paper sack keeping it in my garage. It grew great this year but only had a few blooms. I'm all for recycling plants!

• Maryann

Thank you for your suggestion. Since sunny windows are few in my house, I may need to follow your advice.

• Dee

i live in Maryland, and have some mandanvilla vines that are at least 10 years old.

I put them in the garage, (garage is insulated) near a window if possible, and water them possible twice during the whole winter. I do trim them down some, especially the real tall ones. New growth will start in the spring, from the existing branches.

• Bjb22014730

I live in Illinois- zone 5B. I take my plant inside when the temperature drops below 45 F. I keep it next to the east window. Yes sometimes it lose his leaves but it still lives. And like this , successfully for over 3 years.

I do the same with Hibiscuses, Dipladenias, and Brugmansias.

• Dee

Yes, PS I forgot to mention in my previous post, yes it will lose it leaves, so I break all

the leaves off, before storing in the garage. That way, you do not have the mess of having to clean them up, and in my mind I keep thinking that the plant can be more dormant, not having to worry about the leaves on it. As I previously mentioned, I have had these plants for way over 10 years. I lost only one thru the years, but still have 5 of them, and they are gorgeous every summer.

This is one taken just last week. It is in a pot, but cannot see it, because of the Sedums around it.