DIY Painted Concrete Floor

$75
1 Day

Hello there! I've recently started to fix up our basement and am so exciting to show the progress! Our basement has a partially finished room with a fireplace, large laundry room and then two smaller rooms for each of our hobby/work rooms. I'm starting with the first room you see when you walk down the stairs, which we will use as a second living room/media room.

The concrete floor in this room is such an eye sore. I assume it had some type of floor over it before, but it was gone when we purchased the house. I'm working hard on redoing the stairs that are also in this room, so I wanted a quick and cheap fix for the floor and decided I could just paint it! For prep, I just vacuumed and mopped the floor.

I purchased this concrete primer from Sherwin Williams and had it tinted to Repose Gray at 75% strength. Also, if you haven't shopped Sherwin Williams before, remember to wait for a sale! They almost always have 30% off, sometimes 40%.

I used a 2.5" good quality paint brush and cut in around the whole room. If you haven't invested in a few good quality paint brushes and a paint brush comb, add it to your list - you will appreciate it during your next project and clean-up.

Since my floor has a lot of glue or whatever this is left on it, I decided I wasn't even going to worry about it! This is just a basement and I'm going to have a large area rug in this room anyway.

One coat of primer and the coverage was excellent!

After my primer dried for a few hours, I started to paint. I used the SuperPaint in satin from Sherwin Williams. I had it tinted to Repose Gray full strength this time.

On the left is the primer with paint over it and on the right is just primer. I only had to do one coat of each, how cool is that!?

This floor is by no means perfect, but it's seriously SO much better. I am excited to be in this space and continue fixing it up!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I’m a total project jumper, so I didn’t get any photos of the room before I shoved everything back in and started a new project. 🙃 See how I limewash smeared my fireplace here.

This room is far from done, but you can follow all of my progress on my Instagram.

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Memorial Day Crafts
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day

To see more: http://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness

• Laurie S

Love how this turned out!! We have a family room with a concrete floor too. Currently it’s carpeted, but we’d like to take that up and re-do it. I was considering painting it and now after seeing how well your floor came out, I think that’s the answer!

i also absolutely love your area rug...May I ask where you purchased it?

• Verlene

They have beautiful area rugs at the AT HOME store....

• Marsha Williams

Don't you have to seal the floor so that it doesn't chip?

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Why did you have primer tinted at only 75%? And what is a paint brush comb. Btw the room looks great.

• That’s all Sherwin Williams would tint it as, they said they couldn’t do the 100%, so I’m not sure! A paint brush comb is a tool to help clean paint brushes, they work so good!!