Hutch Makeover

$40

We’ve had this dining room set for a LONG time. We bought it when chocolate brown furniture was all the rage. I still love the clean lines of the hutch and all the storage it offers, and the fact that I get to display all my ‘pretties’. After re-doing this Thrift Store Find a few weeks ago, it really made my old dark brown hutch stick out like a sore thumb in my dining room (see below). Soooooo, I painted it blue to match my more coastal taste and decor (and now I need to re-do the dining table too.) Here are some BEFORE pictures below.

Step 1, Purchase Paint and Supplies

Last month I scored this thrift store piece (below) for only $19.99 at my local Goodwill and painted it English Channel. I really loved the way it came out so I planned to paint the hutch the same color. There was still a half a can of paint left so started with that. I did need to purchase another quart size and now have 1/2 can of that left over, so basically it took 1 quart size can of paint to complete this project.

Painting furniture is all about using the correct products. Chalk Paint is a great option. For this piece I used Behr Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One. This stuff is pretty awesome too and did not disappoint. I used a Satin sheen which is best for kitchens, bathrooms, cabinets & trim. Other supplies I used were, tack cloths, various sized paint brushes, and my small paint roller.

Step 2, Clean and Prep…

I decided to just paint this piece right in the dining room! My husband helped me move it a little bit away from the wall, and then I put a tarp down under it, promising myself that I would be super careful (and I was!!!). This thing is heavy so I didn’t feel like moving it to the garage or outside.  Before I began, I took everything out of it and took the knobs and handles off too. Then I gave it a good cleaning using the tack cloths and tried to make sure I got all the dust.  I did not sand first.

Step 3, Paint…

As stated above, I did not sand this piece at all. I just painted right over the dark brown. It took about 3 coats. I used my roller on the big areas, and a paint brush when needed on the smaller areas, and a very small brush for the smallest lips on the doors. This whole process took about 4 hours total. After I was done painting and it was all dry, I applied two coats of this Minwax Satin Polycrylic Protective Finish.

Step 4, Styling…

I made sure to wait until the top coat was completely dried (I waited a couple of hours) before I started putting everything back inside. It was fun to restyle it with all my ‘pretties’. I changed out the baskets for sea grass ones and added I new fun knobs and handles. I found the brushed gold knobs and brushed gold handles on Amazon and thought I would give them a try. Verdict: I love them.

Here it is. It looks much better and brightens up my room so much. Now I am working on stripping the dining room table next.

The House house

• Kate Marks

What brand and type of paint did you use?

Also, you did not sand the hutch but you are going to sand the table? Is that because it has a poly coating of some sort on top of the table?

• Ann

She stated that the color is “English Channel” which i assume is a Behr color since the paint us a Behr product (at Home Depot)

• Karen

I see light houses and a Cape Cod map, are you in Massachusetts? I am...Also LOVE the hutch and servers. they look awesome

• Karen

yes. Grew up near the cape, raised my kids in Arlington MA, now live in Milford,MA

• Carol Cole

I love it , it turned out beautifully. Is there a mirror back inside of it, it so I want to know if you did it or was it there?

I have put small mirrors inside of mine but want it all mirror like.

Thank you.

• The House house

Thank you! Glad you like it. Yes, there are mirrors that came with the piece lined all along the back.