Goodbye Brassy Gold Doorknobs

$15

Do you have door knobs you do not like the color of? Let me show you how we updated an entire floor of door knobs in our new condo to a new oil rubbed bronze from a brassy gold shine.

We also did light fixtures, door stops, heat vents, towel bars etc, see these detailed tutorials

Dislike your brassy door knobs?

Here is the brassy gold knobs my daughter was NOT a fan of, lets make them pretty.

Remove them and clean them well

The secret of any paint job is in the cleaning set. Remove all the door knobs and hardware and clean thoroughly. Use TSP if you must to get them squeaky clean. Let them dry well.

Spray them with Rustoleum spray paint

In a well ventilated space with cardboard and paper for protection. Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze metallic spray paint was applied in MANY light layers turning as needed once that coat was dry.I am also doing the bathroom vanity light bar .

Allow to dry well

Once every side has been given many light coats, allow them to dry well. Paint takes 30 days to cure so light use is recommended. Of course they will scratch if a ring or other sharp or metal surface is rubbed over them. To prevent this spray a a few light coats of clear polycrylic spray over the painted surfaces.

And install for an updated look

But for everyday use they are now updated to this beautiful dark color, just what my daughter hoped they would be.

Before and After

See many more FREE home décor and furniture tutorials on my blog

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Everything Red For Canada Day
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Creative Moments

• LibraryKAT
    LibraryKAT

I agree with Kellie; I've seen this done before but hesitate because of the frequency of use. Do they hold up over time? Thanks!

• LibraryKAT
    LibraryKAT

These look nice. I used the same spray paint to update an old brass lamp with good results. I wonder how door knobs would hold up to daily use. Do they peal? Others have posted similar projects but no one (that I've found) has posted a long term review of the process.

• Danny Boy
    Danny Boy

These look great, but what about the door hinges? Same treatment?

• Toni
      Toni

I replaced my hinges with new black ones. The movement will scrape the paint. It looks good after I finished this project. I also replaced the latch part of the door handle with new black one - easy done and again looks great without concern for scrapping off the paint.

• Sally Hoffman Brooks
    Sally Hoffman Brooks

I did this with my door knobs and it didn't last very long with daily use. They looked wonderful for a while. I've had to redo them several times even with a good degreaser cleanser and good rinse before spraying they still didn't hold well.

• Creative Moments
      Creative Moments

did you seal them with a clear coat after painting the bronze? that will help for sure but yes with out a bonus top coat, depending on the use they will wear accordingly ;)

• AndradeTea
    AndradeTea

Sure looks 100% better!