Goodbye Brassy Gold Doorknobs

$15

Do you have door knobs you don not like the color of? Let me show you how we updated an entire floor of door knobs in our new condo to a new oil rubbed bronze from a brassy gold shine

We also did light fixtures, door stops, heat vents, towel bars etc, see more detailed tutorials

https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2019/10/bathroom-vanity-light-towel-bar-updated.html

https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2019/10/goodbye-brassy-gold-door-knobs.html

Here is the brassy gold knobs my daughter was NOT a fan of, lets make them pretty.

The secret of any paint job is in the cleaning set. Remove all the door knobs and hardware and clean thoroughly. Use TSP if you must to get them squeaky clean. Let them dry well.

In a well ventilated space with cardboard and paper for protection. Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze metallic spray paint was applied in MANY light layers turning as needed once that coat was dry.

I am also doing the bathroom vanity light bar (see another post for it on its own)

Once every side has been given many light coats, allow them to dry well. Paint takes 30 days to cure so light use is recommended. Of course they will scratch if a ring or other sharp or metal surface is rubbed over them. To prevent this spray a a few light coats of clear polycrylic spray over the painted surfaces.

But for everyday use they are now updated to this beautiful dark color, just what my daughter hoped they would be.

in depth tutorial

Creative Moments

• Kellie Mayday

How has this held up with use? I've been nervous to do it w/ knobs, since we use them so often.

• Gigi
      28 minutes ago

I have not only done the same to all of my door knobs, I also painted my master bath sink faucet. Everything has held up extremely well, showing no wear and tear. I hand painted mine and ordered the oil rubbed bronze from Amazon.com.

• LibraryKAT

I agree with Kellie; I've seen this done before but hesitate because of the frequency of use. Do they hold up over time? Thanks!

• LibraryKAT

These look nice. I used the same spray paint to update an old brass lamp with good results. I wonder how door knobs would hold up to daily use. Do they peal? Others have posted similar projects but no one (that I've found) has posted a long term review of the process.