An Easy to Build Side Table Using a Wood Slab

$25

This project has a bit of "history" behind it... The wood slab is a piece from a tree that fell on our house last year! Once the tree was removed from the structure, we had a friend come over and slice it into slabs. This is the first project I've made using the tree and it came out great!

I started with a small slab that has spent the past year drying. I drew a line on one side and cut it with my circular saw. I made a few more cuts with the circular saw as well as the table saw to make the piece square.

I thoroughly sanded the slab using a belt sander then finished with a palm sander. I didn't want to lose the saw marks because they definitely added character!

I used Danish Oil as a finish on the wood... It really brought out the saw marks and detail!

I added hairpin legs to the bottom, and the table came out fabulous!

It was really easy to cut and sand the slab. I thought it would be a little more difficult but it certainly wasn't and I am looking forward to making more projects with the tree slabs!

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Joanie
    Joanie

I love wood, real pretty!........could I use something like this for a cutting board for veggies and meats, etc.?

• Hi, Joanie!

It will depend on the species of wood as to whether it can be used as a cutting board or not... This slab is oak and it is my understanding that oak should not be used in a cutting board because of the open grain that can trap bacteria, etc. but it can be used as a charcuterie board or serving tray. Here's an article that may be of interest. I hope this helps!