DIY Crate Red Pickup Truck

$32
1 Day

I was messing around with the wooden crates at Walmart and inspiration stuck! I wanted to make a vintage little red pick up truck that I could use around my home. The best part - you can use this all year for all seasons!

You can see more of my crazy creations here

I bought one large crate and 3 small crates from Walmart.

I painted them all with Apple Barrel bright red acrylic paint, and let them all dry completely.

On the first small crate I painted the bottom 2 slats for the bumper with Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint in the color metallic silver.

On the second crate I added wall stickers I found at Dollar Tree to be the windows. Bigger on the front and back sides for windshield and back window, and then smaller on the sides for door windows.

On the 3rd crate I added 2 LED stick on lights from Dollar Tree to become headlights.

On the large crate, I painted the bottom slat with the metallic silver paint for the rear bumper. I hot glued on 2 headlamp lights that I found at Dollar Tree and colored the surface red with a permanent marker for tail lights. I also had wood burned this coaster previously and wood glued that to the back as a license plate.

I found these wooden circles at Walmart in a package of 6. I painted 4 of them with Apple Barrel black acrylic paint and let that dry. I then painted the hubcap with Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint in the color Silver Shadow and let that dry. I used wood glue and glued the wheels onto the sides of the small crate with the bumper, and the sides of the large crate for back wheels.

Once the entire piece was dry it was ready to assemble. I stacked the 2 small crates in front for the hood, and the other small one with the windshields on top of the large crate.

You could glue these together with wood glue, but I opted to not glue them right now as they stack inside the large crate for easy storage.

Here is the assembled truck from the front. I thought he was missing something so I added a wooden coaster that I had painted with Folk Art Chalkboard Paint. I then used chalk to make the grill. Alternatively I can write messages for the season on this as well.

Here is the other view of the truck.

*Added bonus, the headlights and tail lights turn on :)

You can leave it as is or decorate it for all the seasons. For spring fill it with bunnies, planted flowers, eggs, etc.

For summer you can add plants. I added a hay bale and then put a flag in it.

For Winter - add the famous look of the pine tree in the back. I added some LED lights as well.

For Fall - add mums, pumpkins, pine cones, and other decorations.

I would love to have you stop by my blog  Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Chas' Crazy Creations