Asked on Oct 8, 2019

How can I install a drainage system in my backyard?

GaryNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CASharon


Who has installed drainage to remove standing water and what's best way to accomplish this. my backyard pictured below after heavy rain.

7 answers
  • Redcatcec
    on Oct 8, 2019

    Hi Gary,

    We'd love to see your backyard and offer help.

  • Bijous
    on Oct 8, 2019

    Hi Gary. Oftentimes this problem "suddenly" occurs when neighbors change the topography of their yards causing water to flow into yours. If this is the case making a water barrier with corrugated metal is an easy fix. Drive it down into the ground to be strong enough to withstand the onslaught of water and have it standing from ground level about 6 inches. You can also create a detention pond that will temporary hold the water. You can make it quite nice by putting in plants will withstand a day or two in standing water, such as cannas. Good luck!

  • Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes
    on Oct 8, 2019

    French Drains.

  • Mogie
    on Oct 8, 2019

    When we moved into our place we put 2 french drains around the property. They work great.

  • Sharon
    on Oct 8, 2019

    You can also install a french drain to move the water out to the street storm drains.... Apple Drains has lots of videos on how to install drains, pop-ups, catchments and sump pumps for water problems..... click on his name to go to his page to watch lots of videos, DIY solutions for every water problem.

  • If it is run off from a neighboring property, it is illegal. If that is the case, talk to your neighbor, they may not even be aware of the issue. You can also get your local municipality to help you out too. In my case, I installed French drains. I have 3 of them on my property. A lot of work initially, but solves the problem long term and worth the effort and any money spent. Saves you thousands in potential water intrusion issues and resulting mold, which is very costly to remediate. Document everything with photos and call in an irrigation specialist and / or soils engineer if needed.

  • Gary
    on Oct 9, 2019

    thanks all for your suggestions

Your comment...