Kirsten S
Kirsten S
  • Blacksburg, VA

Front Walkway built out of inexpensive cement pavers, red lava rocks, and solar lights

Our home had a simple walkway with cement pavers, which proved to be a hassle when we mowed the lawn. We finished the walkway simply by digging up the grass, adding red lava rocks, flowers, and solar lights to boost up our curb appeal!
http://paintspeckledpawprints.blogspot.com/2012/06/walkway-reveal.html
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Front Walkway Reveal
Kirsten S

• Michelle

do weeds grow through lava rock?

• David Kea

You will be able to be freed from pulling the weeds if you prepare the area first by removing old vegetation and debris from the soil. Next step, raking and compacting the soil how you need it. Once prepped you want to lay out a either a fabric or plastic weed barrier over the area, being sure to overlap the edges while securing the barrier to the ground with staples made for the task. I prefer the heaviest plastic I can get for longevity and max weed blocking however many of the better quality (more $) fabric barriers will prevent the weeds and allow water to pass through to the ground. WIth plastic you may need to consider proper drainage issues etc. You will want to go under and beyond any borders used then secure the border and just cut excess material on the outside of the border edges. If you cut the material on the inside of the border you WILL get weeds all around the edge. I have had red lava rocks around my house for 30 + years and still love them. Good luck and have fun.

• Michelle

Thanks for that.

• Christine P

Michele's method is the preferred method that will take care of most of the weeds. However, from experience, I must say that weeds will always find a way. No matter how well you prep , mowing the lawn, walking from the grassy area over the rocks, the wind, the mower will always blow dirt onto the rocks. Over time blowing weed seeds from your yard or your neighbors yard will find their way and settle and then sprout. In the spring sprinkle some Preen over the rocks and this will help tremdously.

• Ima16961595

To kill weeds instantly, I use an environmental mixture of the following: 1 gallon of vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom Salts, 1/4 cup of BLUE Dawn dish detergent. I mix it in a watering can and pour over the area to both kill and prevent weeds. It works! As it will kill any vegetation that it touches, keep it away from grass or your plants. I've done this for years!

• Dave Sulack

What was the distance between the pavers?

• Joy Peters Kurtz

Love your post! Question: we live in so Cal and will be putting in red lava rocks all over our front yard (yard is sparsely planted with native plants). How hard was it to get the rocks in to place? how did you have them delivered? did you hire someone to do it? how long did the red rocks take? thanks!

• Lucinda

Did you have to lay a barrier between the dirt and rocks.

• Karjohnel

What edging did you use?

• Rose Mary Dougherty

Where did you get your solar lights ?
  • Kay A Nocks

How much Lava rock did you use ?
  • Est33649437

Hi! I want to do this in my sidewalk. Do you have a video tutorial. Is this okay if my pathway is little bit hilly?

• Thomas Haulk

How did you do that?

• Bonnie Tyner

Lava rock looks good but very light weight and porous. Can’t use a blower after mowing cuz they would just blow into grass. Might be better to use concrete edging to contain the rocks or landscape edging is more affordable for a solution. Just a thought...or different rocks.

• Bonnie Tyner