Zoe Hunt
Zoe Hunt
  • Cary, NC

DIY Painted Floors

$100

This project isn’t just for floors. Any tile works: backsplashes, fireplaces, shower walls, laundry room, etc! Have more ideas? Send them our way! We’d love to see what you come up with. Alright, let’s start DIYing!

Select your stencil and clean your floor.

Tape your baseboards and anything non-removable (shower, tub, cabinets, toilet. You can also use tarps to cover things that like your cabinets and toilet to make sure you don’t accidentally get paint drips on them.

Sweep your floor one more time. Better safe than sorry, right?

Prime your floor using a concrete and masonry bonding primer.

Paint your base coat using a porch and patio paint. Make sure to cover all of the grout lines.

It’s time to break out the stencil! Tape your stencil down to ensure it does not move. Go over the stencil several times with light coats of paint.

Work your way around the room. Knock out all of the whole tiles first, then move on to the partial tiles. I opted to cut 20 stencils so that I would have plenty to cut, but if you’re working with just 1 or 2 stencils, you’ll have to get creative when doing the partial tiles. Find all of the titles that use the stencil in the same direction then start with the largest. You can fold your stencil–you just have to be careful to keep it in the same place.

When you peel off the stencils, don’t be discouraged. It’s normal for the lines to not be perfect. That’s why the next step is to touch-up the paint with a small paint brush.

Seal the tiles with a paint roller. I would recommend a matte finish if you’re going for the cement tile look. We ended up accidentally picking up a satin finish. It’s easier to clean, but you can see your paint strokes more than you would with a matte finish.

Remove the tape. This is the best part. Your floor finally looks complete! I recommend using a utility knife to make sure that you don’t accidentally peel up your tile paint, but you can also carefully remove it by hand.

You did it! Don’t forget to send us your pictures on Instagram (@craftedbythehunts)! We can’t wait to see how your tiles turn out and hear about all the compliments that you get!

Behr Premium Concrete and Masonry Bonding Primer
Behr Premium Low-Lustre Enamel Porch & Patio Floor Paint
Zoe Hunt

• Rommel

how to clean shower glass

• Donna Conner

one part vinegar and one part alcohol. spray and let set. I use a scotch bright green scrubber, If you need mor power dip your scrubber in dry baking soda and scrub. I use solution to get the soap scum of my tiles.

• Zoe Hunt

We just use a magic eraser!

• Debg

Did you sand your tiles first or just use the concrete bonding product

• Bonnie

Can you just paint the floor and seal it and forget the stencils?

• Conni

Yes- that’s certainly a much quicker and easier process.