Karen C
Karen C
  • Carlsbad, NM

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is?

JanElaine CasselmanBG Wilke
+24

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is? My cousin has them all over her yard and she is afraid to let her son play out there. We really need to know any info about it.
q insects, gardening, gardening pests, pest control
  • Susan S

Well Karen, I DON'T KNOW what this is, OTHER than very bright red, but I don't think it's a scorpion - tho it could be a cousin . . . A number of years I was visiting relatives in NM and as we were driving down the highway you could see tons of scorpions crossing the road - and of course a lot of 'em got smushed too!! They were GIGANTIC - ewwwww!!! Actually, on second thought, I might be a bit confused after alll these years, I'm not sure anymore if it was scorpions or trantulas. Do you have both out there? LOL

• Karen C

yes we have both we think its a type of tick but were not sure

• Susan S

WOW! Thatsa TICK??? (maybe) Geez, that thing's a whopper, but at least he can't camoflouge himself too well like our brown ones do!! You can keep 'em!! lol

• That is one seriously creepy looking crawler Karen! Never seen anything like it and hope I neve rdo ...

• Karen C

thanks everyone

• Mary T

It does look like a mite, probably bites. We have very tiny red ones here in Ky.

• Karen R

Karen: I have no idea what this is, however, I do know that diatematius earth will kill it. Diatematius earth is small pieces of silicone and when they touch it, it cuts them like glass and then absorbs all the fluid out of the bugs. Great for plants in the garden, like Thrip in roses, aphids, tomato worms, etc. Good luck. Karen R.

• Renata

@Karen R I'm not a bug person at all, hate the little creatures but that sounds so torturous. I'm not into torturing anything.

• Becky H

Shelia G., from what I can tell of Karen's picture, it looks like you've found the right bug. If it eats grasshopper eggs, send some down this way!

• Susan S

Yeah - but too bad it probably won't be much of a threat to voles!! I'd import a whole bunch of them. But then, since they're probably not native to the east coast I'd only create a bigger uglier ecological issue!!

• Darlene Clonts

looks like a tic

• Charles M. Anderson

Just in case anyone still wants to know, that is a chigger. Nasty little beast!

• Mary T

Thanks for letting us know!

• Jean Marie

I thought chiggers were real small and hid in grass?

• Joy Smith

They are not chiggers, they are Velvet Mites.....they go after grasshopper eggs! (See the link above) it does not say if they bite humans.....

• EL Hoard

Agree with Joy. Not a chigger/red bug. Chiggers are so small you would need a macro camera lens to get this view. Shape reminds me of a stink bug, but I've never seen a red stink bug.

• Ruheena

This is definitely velvet mite. Oh!God you made me remember my child hood. They use to appear early morning after rain at night on open ground in loads (in India) We used to go for early morning walks and pick them up and keep them in tiny boxes with little mud in it. But alas! They use to die in a day or too. They are harmless and you can pick them up. And even children can make them crawl on the hands. If possible I can ask you to send me some to put them in my garden. I've seen these after a long time. U.K.

• Jeannie

@BS I was doing a little research (I do TONS of research as part of my career) and came across this info: "Since the diet of the Giant Red Velvet Mite consists of many pests, the mite could be used as a potential biological control tool. They are also vital to the rate of soil decomposition and greatly help maintain balance in soil ecosystems. The mites spend a majority of their time underground and only emerge after heavy rains to feed. " As for the mite being "non-native" This species in generally found in the Southwest and Mexico but has been spotted as far east as New Jersey.

• Jane R.

Hope I never see one. Looks scary.

• Eli mackewich

Catch one, take to the local county extension and they will do the work for you. Your agricultural agent probably knows what it is without sending it in. Easy, free, and they can tell you also how to get rid of them they look nasty!!!!

• BG Wilke

Very small & pretty arachnids. They are harmless & come out of hibernation after a rain; they are beneficial in that they eat ants & termites. http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Giant-Red-Velvet-Mite

• Elaine Casselman

Why would you worry to let your son outside?? It's a bug!

• Sandy

@Elaine Casselman as a mother it is natural to want to protect your child when your not sure if this bug is a danger.

• Jan

It is outside, so it appears to be a tick.