Fabric Sample Throw Pillow!

$0

Ever wondered what to do with all those fabric samples you've collected? Or perhaps you're looking to give some existing plain cushions some WOW factor? If the answer is yes this project is the cutest way ever to put fabric samples to good use. All you need is a good pair of shears scissors, a sewing machine (though you can easily sew this project by hand!) a plain throw pillow, some felt pom poms (optional but adorable) and of course your fabric samples. This project cost me $0, thats right, FREE! I already had everything I needed and since the samples are free, the only cost you may incur is on the throw pillow and scissors.

This is a great project for beginners, because you don't need to worry about getting a zip sewed correctly (unless you want to move this project to a medium skill and make your own cushion too).

For the pillow shown here, I used 18 small samples. Samples do vary in size though so you may need more or less depending on your design, sample sizes and throw pillow size. For the purpose of this tutorial lets focus on the design I did.

First of all, I sketched out the design then I trimmed all of my fabric samples to squares and triangles, using the shear scissors to create the cute edges and also prevent fraying since they are exposed, you'll get to play around and see what works best. I ended up with 12 squares and 19 triangles (one for every square and then 7 for the fan).

I tacked everything down rather than pinning because its kind of fiddly to deal with pins whilst sewing on a machine when they're in all directions. Tack and sew all of the squares on first then do a second layer to tack and sew your triangles on.

The pom poms are optional but totally adorable, so I added those and a small felt flower to the fan with just a hand stitch, and that's it!

This DIY will be completely individual to you, and that is my favorite thing about crafting! You could use contrasting thread, add beads or gems, vary the pom pom sizes!

I'd love to see how your project turns out so please share it with me!

You can find more inspiration on my Instagram @where_the_winds_blow and check back in soon for more projects!

• Michele

How did you use sewing machine on pillow? Is it a zipper cover?

• Thea

I really like the colour combinations and it is a great design. Michelle’s question is valid though, how did you manage to sew it?

• Thea, my cover has a zipper so I could manoeuvre around the machine arm to sew. However if you have a cushion that does not open then you would only be able to hand sew it.

• Lisa Sinclair

This could easily be adapted to a pillow cover. I like to make a pokey cover ( like a duvet cover for your bed) .And even tho I like to sew mine ,I've seen lots of them made with stitch witchery, or hot glue, for non sew option. And you could even hot glue , or iron on with fusable webbing.

• Very pretty and one of a kind.