How can I replace my small white decorative rock 18"wide patio border?

EmLauren of Mom Home GuideDarla
+1

It should have read "18" wide border, it goes around my patio deck it is about 1 inch deep in 1 - 2 inch size rock, Can I just pour concrete over it trowel it smooth? It isnot a weight bearing or traffic area.

Hopefully your deck is higher than the stone. If so, then you can frame out the border level with the deck using wood boards. Then pour the concrete and trowel it smooth. Remove the boards. Pouring concrete over the stone and troweling smooth would make for a too thin concrete pad and it would fail. You need a minimum of three inches of concrete height.

• Darla

William is right, you need a deeper area for the concrete to remain intact. You could take up the rock and replace it with pavers. Work and money but they have many styles of pavers so you could be fancy or plane and the pavers are about the same depth of what you have the stone. You would need to level and compact the area you put the pavers so they stay solid.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I have small decorative rocks around my patio. They were thinning and weren’t preventing weeds from coming though. So I just put mulch over them. I am thinking of putting large planters in spots on top of the mulch come spring.

• Em

Rake them out with a fine toothed garden rake. I did mine because I inherited them from previous owner and did not like the look. It is time consuming but worth it to get them out. I agree with Lauren, mulch the area, plant grass seed, or add a border of flowers once they are out.