DIY Linen Halloween Dinner Napkins

$12

I know I say this about every project ...but this DIY dinner napkin with the spiderweb design really is that easy.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

The frayed edges of the napkin make this a total beginner sewing project.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

After you cut your fabric to your desired size(dinner napkins are typically 18"x18"), you'll sew the straight line of stitching all the way around the outside edge of the fabric square. Mine is 5/8" from the edge of the fabric. A thread mote if you will??? I made two rows a stitches, one almost on top of the other, and I reduce my stitch length to really hold-off the fraying. That's all folks...the napkin is complete. You could stop right there, and have a fabulous set of linen napkins, but that's not the point of this post. On with the fun part...the spiderweb design.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

Start with your regular presser foot installed, and stitch straight lines radiating out from one corner of the napkin at varying lengths. I made 5 rows of stitches on mine, but this part is completely subjective and you can design your spiderweb any way you want.

You may want to sketch out your design on the fabric first with chalk, especially if you're not accustomed to free motion stitching. It'll give you guide lines to follow. Also, fold your fabric the way you intend to fold the napkins for use, so you can determine where you want your design to end up when folded.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

After the straight lines are sewn, switch to your free motion quilting foot and lower your feed dog. I think this is also called a darning foot and most machines come with one.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

Then start at one of the outside straight lines, and free motion stitch your curved spiderwebs. This part may take a little practice if you've never done free motion stitching.

The last and finishing touch is to free motion stitch the spiders onto the web. I used the same white thread and added a little red on the body of the spider to resemble a black widow.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

Another side note…I used black thread in my bobbin so the design would disappear on the back side of the napkin.

These diy dinner napkins are so fast and easy to make, you could make a set of six in one afternoon. I used a linen blend fabric so they wouldn’t be soooo wrinkly, but you can use any kind of medium weight fabric.

diy linen halloween dinner napkins

The dark color will hide all the stains and these napkins could last you for years to come. Such a perfect way to reduce waste and move toward a zero-waste household and have fun doing it.

Mimzy lombardo