How can I redo my rounded edge flat cabinet in style?

+11

I have flat cabinets with rounded edges. I plan to DIY and make them into white shaker style with new hardware and crown molding on top. I am also adding stone backsplash and polishing my Corian. Do I need to square my sides with wood filler or would it still look good with rounded edges? ( simpler , just have to add the 2” x 1/4” flat trim to make the shaker style). Following are 2 pics of my cabinets followed by something similar to what I’m going for.

q turn my rounded edge flat cabinet into shaker

Old ugly flat cabinet doors and draws with rounded edges. Not enough overhang to trim off edge to make square.

Note rounded edges

Similar to what I’m trying to accomplish

• William William on Oct 09, 2019

Don't square off the edges before adding the wood trim. Would be hard to get it just right. Glue and nail the trim first flush with the edge of the doors. Then fill the gap with wood putty. Let it dry then sand smooth.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Oct 10, 2019

Totally agree with William. You've taken good care of your cabinets. I think your change will look amazing. Have fun.

• Michael Michael on Oct 10, 2019

Thank you William. Most people seem to agree Not to leave the edges round

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Oct 10, 2019

I don't think the doors will look or fit right if you try to square them off. Do as William suggests.

• Grace Gleason Grace Gleason on Oct 10, 2019

You might consider using Bondo instead of wood putty. It dries extremely hard and won't crumble over time.

• Kim Campbell Kim Campbell on Nov 25, 2020

Hmm good hint, I have just done my cupboard doors using the wood filler and it ended up being harder than it sounds.

• MaggieMae MaggieMae on Oct 10, 2019

Great idea William. I may be doing it to mine.

• Lynn Lynn on Oct 10, 2019

I have been meaning to ask the same question--thanks so much! And our contractor says Bondo is an amazing replacement for caulk and sheetrock mud in some places. Like Grace said, it dries rock hard and won't crumble over time. Can't wait to do this to my rounded edge cabinet doors!

• Flower Flower on Oct 22, 2020

Michael...can we get an update & photo of your finished product? Also...any advice & tips you could give now that you’ve done it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

How did you finish the edges?

• Deborah Deborah on Mar 10, 2021

What color clothes go with oak cabinet

• Deborah Deborah on Mar 10, 2021

What color floor gose with oak cabinet

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 10, 2021

HELLO THERE,

I think I would just set my framework in just a bit and then finish

as required. Best wishes.