How can I redo my rounded edge flat cabinet in style?

LynnMaggieMaeGrace Gleason
+4

I have flat cabinets with rounded edges. I plan to DIY and make them into white shaker style with new hardware and crown molding on top. I am also adding stone backsplash and polishing my Corian. Do I need to square my sides with wood filler or would it still look good with rounded edges? ( simpler , just have to add the 2” x 1/4” flat trim to make the shaker style). Following are 2 pics of my cabinets followed by something similar to what I’m going for.

Old ugly flat cabinet doors and draws with rounded edges. Not enough overhang to trim off edge to make square.

Note rounded edges

Similar to what I’m trying to accomplish

Don't square off the edges before adding the wood trim. Would be hard to get it just right. Glue and nail the trim first flush with the edge of the doors. Then fill the gap with wood putty. Let it dry then sand smooth.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Totally agree with William. You've taken good care of your cabinets. I think your change will look amazing. Have fun.

• Michael

Thank you William. Most people seem to agree Not to leave the edges round

• Robyn Garner

I don't think the doors will look or fit right if you try to square them off. Do as William suggests.

• Grace Gleason

You might consider using Bondo instead of wood putty. It dries extremely hard and won't crumble over time.

• MaggieMae

Great idea William. I may be doing it to mine.

• Lynn

I have been meaning to ask the same question--thanks so much! And our contractor says Bondo is an amazing replacement for caulk and sheetrock mud in some places. Like Grace said, it dries rock hard and won't crumble over time. Can't wait to do this to my rounded edge cabinet doors!