Using Jewelry to Refresh Thrifted Lamps

$20

I'm always on the hunt for a good bargain in the thrift store. I especially love a good gem that can be turned in to glam home decor with just a little effort. I found a beautiful classic lamp that needed a some TLC and decided to used costume jewelry to add a little pizazz to the lamp and I was thrilled with the results.

Here's the before. She was a little worn, but the electrical worked and all the other issues were cosmetic. I began by giving her a good cleaning. Then a coat coat of my favorite gold spray paint.

Most lamps you find in thrift stores can take on a whole new life with just a coat of paint and modern lampshade. If you're a bargain hunter you need to read my best tips for shopping at thrift stores.

I found these gorgeous costume jewelry links in JoAnn Fabrics. They cost me only a few dollars because I combined a coupon with a sale!

I used fishing line to attach the ends of the jewelry to the lamp. All you need to do is tie a simple knot and cut off the excess.

I used three strands to connect the arms of the lamp. If you have a simpler lamp shape, play around with different configurations and use hot glue if you must.

I topped her with a blue lampshade and called it done. This lamp makeover cost me less than $20. Download my free guide on how I decorate on the cheap here.

Kenyatta Harris

• Mary Lou

Your cost surely doesn't include the shade?

• Jewellmartin

Despite the cost of the blue shade, I believe this could be done for under $10. I would use paint or recover a shabby but structurally sound lampshade and use a cheap and shiny necklace for the jewels. In fact, I have a lamp 12 feet from me that needs a new life. I’m so inspired! Jewell

• Sue in wy

Did you repair/replace the tube that was broken?

• Jewellmartin

i couldn’t even tell the tube was broken because of the reflections. I still might have use some of my gold wrapping paper anyway. This is such a cute idea, I’m sure my family will look closer. It’s such a surprisingly simple and sparkly idea! Jewell

• Betty Sutton Smith

Can you spray paint a lamp shade ????

• Kenyatta Harris

You absolutely can! Just use good paint and do several light coats. I Wouldn’t go too dark with color because you want the light to shine through.