How can I decorate this furnace return cover measuring 16 x 20?

DeeJessica VanderVeenMichelle
+8

Anyone have any spectacular ideas to beautify this hole in the wall? Lol. Just thought someone might have a great DIY for it. New ones run around $30, decorative ones around $80.

It's dirty, bent and rusty.

• T R

Hi, there are actually a few Hometalk ideas - take a look and see what suits you: https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=furnace%20return%20cover.

• Dfm

I had a chat with my furnace repair person a while back, the tradesmen was not for covering any vents-just paint it to match the wall.

• Gk

Hello Rhondalynn! You don't really want to do too much to it since it is a furnace air return. You can clean it with soap and water, dry it well, brush off any rust with a wire brush, and then spray paint it with Rustoleum spray paint. It will look like new for less than 5 bucks!

• J

Soap and water, and a can of spray paint always do wonders.

Can't cover or block it. Just clean well and paint the same color as the wall.

• Sandra

You can use some peel and stick tile along the outside borders and up and down the three sections that run from top to bottom. That is what I did to mine. You can purchase the peel and stick tile from Home Depot or Lowe's. You will have to cut the sections to fit the needed space.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I've seen where some people put a rubber mat that is open over them. When I had my HVAC replaced, I asked about it and he said it would probably be okay but he would not recommend it. I ended up putting a chair a few feet in front of mine and he said that was a perfect solution.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, clean it, take some needle nose pliers & straighten the bent bits.

since it looks like it’s already been painted with latex paint, going over it with spray enamel isn’t going to work.

It will need to be painted in whatever kind of paint is in there now, probably latex.

Draw attention away from it with some other wall decor.

• Michelle

I have the same cover put it in bathtub scrub wth vinegar and toothbrush works great. I do this at least twice a year

• Jessica VanderVeen

I would try cleaning it and paint it to match the wall. Or spray paint it a gloss white to make it stand out and look new

• Dee

You need that vent for your HVAC system. You will ruin your HVAC if you cover it and that can be costly. Clean it up, sand off the rust. Spray paint with Rustoleum Primer, then Spray paint with Rustoleum color of your choice. The Rustoleum will prevent rust.