Lace Doily Upcycling on My Radio Stand Kitchen Island

$30

Lace doily upcycling across the front of my kitchen island that I made out of my great grandpa’s radio stand. This piece remains one of my ALL TIME favorite transformations that I’ve created. Some projects just work! It was like this old radio stand had been waiting 100 years to be made into a kitchen island. It looks great from the front and the shelves in the back house all my recipe books too. During my recent kitchen remodel I did some surgery on it to work even better for me.

lace doily upcycling on my radio stand kitchen island

Since the first time I tackled that radio stand in 2015 it was always too high for the stools I had with it. Yes, I could have purchased taller stools but 3 1/2 feet tall was just TOO HIGH in my opinion. I couldn’t stand it anymore!

I took the base off and rebuilt it to sit INSIDE of the legs instead of UNDER the legs. I also cut off about two inches from the legs as well.

It added sturdiness and dropped the whole piece down nearly 5 inches and hid the castors. Much better! Besides that I gave it some paint touch ups too. (Its painted with high gloss Rustoleum in the color Regal Red.)

After I rolled it to its new place in my brand new “breakfast nook” a few months ago something has really been bothering me.Long ago the old fabric on the front of the stand was stained. Initially I tried cleaning it but that just made it worse so I ended up literally brushing clear coat over it so it wouldn’t get more stains.Well, I’ve been meaning to replace it ever since.

I’ve been seeing a lot of lace doily upcycling around Pinterest lately. It seems to be one of the new “fads” but, at least in my opinion, lace doilies will always be in. I have a box my aunt gave me after my Grandma died of some of her last doilies but I’m not using those for this project. They will eventually find a home in another project but I couldn’t bare the idea of putting staples through them.So, I purchased this big lace doily from Amazon.I totally need more doilies in my life!

I took all my recipe books off my island first and ended up donating most of them. I can’t help it… “real” books I just don’t use that much anymore when I can pull it up on my phone instead. So, unless it means something to me, I donate it to my local library.What I did keep were all of the recipe books that my grandmas were included in (put out by their churches or the local bank in town) and the one recipe book that means the absolute most to me. My mom typed up ALL of our family recipes and gave it to me one year for my birthday. It remains one of the best gifts I have ever been given.

And I’ve added to it over the years as well!I removed all of the old fabric and stretched my lace doily in its place. I stapled it down tight and was positively smitten! I’m kicking myself for not replacing that yucky fabric a long time ago.

I think it really turned out nice!

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Heje

The red color and the lace make it a beautiful and useful piece of furniture. Would there be a way to make the lace come closer to the surface? How about accentuating the details of the design with white, gold, or some other color?

• Bmi32050820

Find an embroidery hoop that size and insert it in the hole. Just thinking out loud🤪

• PENNY HENDRICKSON

It is very pretty. I agree with Heje, could you move the doily closer so it is flush with the cut out?

• Merrijo T Bonds

That is one DARLING makeover!