Halloween, Face in the Window DIY

$8

I've used vintage windows for decorating before but this is the first time for my Halloween decor. What's creepier than a face peering at you in the window.

This project combines a mercury glass effect and printed out pictures of a face and hands to up the creep factor.

Find and clean an old vintage window or glass picture frame.

Print out, on regular copy paper, a spooky face and spooky hands. Pop over to my website at the end of this post if you want my sources.

Each of these were printed on a full sheet of paper. They don't take up the entire pane, but we'll fix that.

On the back of the window, spray paint the entire pane black where there will no pictures (the top three).

On the bottom side panes, where the hands will go, spray paint just the top of the pane black. This is only because my paper is a little short.

In the middle bottom, where the face will go, spray paint the bottom of the pane black.

You do not have to use masking tape on the back of the window. Hey, it's the back after all.

With the same black paint lightly spray around the paper edges of the face and hands. You want the edges of the paper to disappear.

With spray adhesive lightly spray the fronts of the face and hands and attach to the window back.

On the front, mask off the window frame.

For this next part you’ll need a spray bottle with a mixture of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water and  Rust-Oleum Mirror Spray .

You can use the mirror effect spray paint direct, but if you love the mercury glass, lightly spray the front of the window panes with the mixture of vinegar and water.

For the panes that have no face or hands spray the window with the mirror paint. Wait 20 seconds then respray. Wait an addition 20 seconds then lightly blot the vinegar/water spots with a paper towel.

The black paint that was sprayed on the back will show thru giving that mercury glass effect.

Around the face and hands give the entire pane one light coat of the mirror spray paint. Follow up with another coat just around the edges. Use the vinegar on the edges if you like.

Keep applying until you get the effect you like, it may take several coats.

Remove the masking tape and hang, Pretty creepy.

If you want to put this up all year, so easy to do the same effect without the creepy person.

I had all the supplies on hand for this one except the mirror glass paint so it only cost me $8. So check your supplies before you go shopping.

Follow the blog link for photo credits, more pics, and other mercury glass projects.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
ScavengerChic

• Jill Cyr Beniak
    Jill Cyr Beniak

Hmmm.., the window on the side of my garage looks just like this (built in 1940). And it looks out over my outdoor dining room with 12 foot long farmhouse table. I wonder how my guests will react?

• Johanne Palange
    Johanne Palange

Genius.