How to Dye a Rug to Bring It Back to Life

$20

Do you have an old rug that is faded or stained? Rather than throw it out, you could breathe new life into a rug by dyeing it. This is easier to do than you might think, and it gives terrific results that will give you a spectacular new item to use in your home. Learn how to dye a rug below and see how easy it is to get a great new look for a rug that has seen better days.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

• Rit dye
  • Water
  • Plastic funnel
  • Bottle with spray attachment
  • Hose
  • Washing machine
  • Scotchgard spray
DIY Dyed Rug

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

The only items I had to buy for this DIY project were the Rit dye and the Scotchgard. These products are easy enough to get hold of in stores. Everything else I already had at home, and I would imagine that most other people do too. Also, make sure that you have a funnel and bottle with spray attachment ready so that you can complete the project from start to finish.

Gather Your Materials

Step 2: Prep the Dye

I boiled some water and poured it into the bottle that I planned to use to spray the dye, using a funnel to avoid any spillage. After that, I poured the dye into the same bottle in the same way. I put on the spray attachment and then gave the bottle a good shake to mix the liquid thoroughly before use. Then I was ready to dye my rug!

Prep the Dye

Step 3: Spray the Rug

With the liquid ready, I sprayed it carefully onto the rug. It is important to cover the whole surface evenly. I find it easier to start in one corner and slowly work my way in towards the center. Then I move on to the next corner and so on, until only a small space in the middle remains for me to spray at the end. 

Spray the Rug

Step 4: Rinse and Let Dry

My next move was to rinse off the rug thoroughly using a hose. I used plenty of cool water to do this. I kept rinsing the rug over and over again until the excess water runs clear from it. Then I put it aside to let it dry thoroughly before moving on to the next step in the process.

Rinse and Let Dry

Step 5: Wash the Rug

The next step is to wash the rug. I put mine in on a medium setting with the water temperature set to “cool lights.” I set the mode to casual and put the washing machine into motion. You will see that the dye is fixed into place and doesn’t come off once you have let it dry. 

Wash the Rug

Step 6: Spray with Scotchgard

The final step in this tutorial on how to dye a rug is to spray on a coating of Scotchgard. This protects the rug against spills and stains that could damage it in the future. Again, I very carefully went over the entire surface to make sure that the whole thing was as well protected as possible. You will want to do this in one sitting, to avoid losing track of which parts you have and haven’t done so far.

Spray with Scotchgard

This is a fantastic way of turning a tired old rug into something fresher and far more exciting. If you have a rug that is in need of a facelift, dyeing it will give you a great new look without having to spend too much time or money. I tried out my new rug in a few different rooms once I was finished, and I would recommend that you do the same. You are sure to find a perfect spot for it somewhere in your home.

If you like this project then share it with friends, so that they can easily update their rugs too!

Homemade Dyed Rug

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

• Betty
    Betty

What is the ratio of dye to water?

• Tracy
    Tracy

I got a light color couch my grandkids have marked on it and it's dirty how can I get it clean

• Debbie
      Debbie

I have used scrubbing bubbles before on my furniture when my children were small and always use it on my car seats. I just go back over it with damp clean cloth to get out rest of dirty cleaner. Helps with smells also.

• Mary
    Mary

Can you dye carpet?

• Carol
    Carol

I want to do some carpet, it is in good shape but it has pet stains on it.

It's beige so I chose brown.

Help me from here, please

• Cindy
    Cindy

Using a spray bottle is an interesting idea for applying dye to large items. I have dyed a lot of clothes but never a rug. Different fabrics do absorb the dye differently. the more synthetic in the fabric the less dye it will absorb. you can keep your color fresh by setting it with a vinegar and salt solution both during and after The dying process.