Grab a $5 Full Length Mirror From Walmart for This Fun Storage Idea!

$30
1 Day

Desperate for entryway storage? My foyer was getting more cluttered by the second, but I didn't have any room to add storage. When I saw this $5 mirror at Walmart, I felt an idea coming on!

I created a multi use storage cabinet! It turned out just like I dreamed it would. Now there's one spot where I can check my look and grab my keys as I head out the door.

Check out the video for a better shot of the finished piece!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Grab a $5 Walmart mirror to get started...

Remove the stickers to get it ready to paint!

Step 1: Paint your mirror back

Flip the mirror over and paint the back black to match the frame. Make sure to get full coverage on the mirror!

Step 2: Cut the wood for your frame with a circular saw

Use a circular saw to cut some 1x4s to match the height and width of the mirror, and another 1x4 to use as the shelf.

Step 3: Sand your pieces

Use a sanding block or sandpaper to sand down the edges of all your wood.

Step 4: Add hooks to your shelf

To make your shelf more functional, measure equidistant holes in your wood, and screw in hooks that you can use to hold your keys or other goodies.

Step 5: Assemble your pieces

Lay your wood pieces out on a flat surface, and make sure they're at a tight 90 degree angle.

Step 6: Nail your pieces together

I used a nail gun, but you can use hammer or nails, or a screw driver and screws. Be careful to keep your pieces at a 90 degree angle.

Step 7: Paint your frame

I painted mine black to give it a nice, modern look. I wanted it to match the frame of the mirror so that the whole thing would look like one finished cabinet.

Step 8: Attach the frame and mirror with hinges

Using a screw driver or drill, attach hinges to the mirror and shelves.

Step 9: Hang your cabinet on the wall

To hang your cabinet on the wall, use a screw driver or drill to screw L-brackets into the wall.

Here's another angle of the finished look. This is a seriously convenient entryway addition!

• Jro34066060

Since the frame of the mirror is so thin and also looks like it is made of metal, how do you screw the hinge into it? Can you get short enough screws to hold the hinge to the frame?

• Betty Sutton Smith

W0W this is a great idea !! I have a 4 x12 mirror on my dresser top i've had forever. Now i know what to do with it plus use the mirror to do finishing touches to lipstick hair earrings etc. And it will look perfect on my wall ! No one will be the wiser of what might be on the inside. Thank You for this nifty idea.

• Nikki

What kind of nail gun are you using? Looking to buy one, but not sure which type I would need...

• David Cook

Just wondering, if you could borrow a nail gun from a neighbor instead, would you? Or would you rather just buy one on Amazon?

• Martine

How do u attach the mirror to the frame

• Adrienne

It looked like a few 2” hinges from the looks of it on photo #10.