Grab a $5 Full Length Mirror From Walmart for This Fun Storage Idea!

$30
1 Day

Desperate for entryway storage? My foyer was getting more cluttered by the second, but I didn't have any room to add storage. When I saw this $5 mirror at Walmart, I felt an idea coming on!

I created a multi use storage cabinet! It turned out just like I dreamed it would. Now there's one spot where I can check my look and grab my keys as I head out the door.

Check out the video for a better shot of the finished piece!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Grab a $5 Walmart mirror to get started...

Remove the stickers to get it ready to paint!

Step 1: Paint your mirror back

Flip the mirror over and paint the back black to match the frame. Make sure to get full coverage on the mirror!

Step 2: Cut the wood for your frame with a circular saw

Use a circular saw to cut some 1x4s to match the height and width of the mirror, and another 1x4 to use as the shelf.

Step 3: Sand your pieces

Use a sanding block or sandpaper to sand down the edges of all your wood.

Step 4: Add hooks to your shelf

To make your shelf more functional, measure equidistant holes in your wood, and screw in hooks that you can use to hold your keys or other goodies.

Step 5: Assemble your pieces

Lay your wood pieces out on a flat surface, and make sure they're at a tight 90 degree angle.

Step 6: Nail your pieces together

I used a nail gun, but you can use hammer or nails, or a screw driver and screws. Be careful to keep your pieces at a 90 degree angle.

Step 7: Paint your frame

I painted mine black to give it a nice, modern look. I wanted it to match the frame of the mirror so that the whole thing would look like one finished cabinet.

Step 8: Attach the frame and mirror with hinges

Using a screw driver or drill, attach hinges to the mirror and shelves.

Step 9: Hang your cabinet on the wall

To hang your cabinet on the wall, use a screw driver or drill to screw L-brackets into the wall.

Here's another angle of the finished look. This is a seriously convenient entryway addition!

• Martine

How do u attach the mirror to the frame

• Kiki Baxter

• Kathleen Freet

Question maybe I missed it, did you use a magnetic closure or a cabinet closure? Just saying for me I'm going to put on the mirror a thin piece of flexible wood to give the inside a finished look but that's just my preference. Love this idea tho for our bathroom behind the door on the wall that had an odd angle! Thanks

• Mary Austin

I love this project  and so very many more, as well!  I'm thinking of trying a similar style, but lining the back of it with a thin layer of corkboard, to arrange jewelry💍📿and see what a difference it makes  Bet my daughter is going to LOVE it! I'm hoping to make 2,matching, so that my daughter and I each have one of our own, but I'd really like to come up with ideas to somehow personalize them, like maybe stencil a word/ saying, or a small design🐾, along the bottom, or a corner,of the mirror,and/or somehow🖌️ make a light, opaque, icy frost look over the bottom few inches, like a window in the winter with a few inches of layered, paper-thin, clear frost/ice❄️☄️ has crept up from the very bottom. Any ideas or suggestions to make that possible,please? Thank you very much, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, to you and your family, from me and my family

• Tcoker7

Would love to see your mirrors when you finish them!

• Jodi

I made this for the back of my bedroom door, with hooks and pegs inside back wall and behind door for all my jewelry. Absolutely love using it.

• Cassie

Love this idea its also great for tiny living or small spaces. You get storage and a full length mirror all in one. Tiny living is always in need of both. Normally living tiny you give up the full length mirror for storage space, this way you can have both.👍👍😊