4 Steps To Get Rid Of That Musty Smell

$35

This dresser stinks.

It may be curvy, old, and beautiful, but it has that musty smell. The tell tale sign it’s been sitting a bit too long in someone’s basement. Let me teach you how to clean and restore both the inside and the outside of an old piece so it will last for years to come (and so you aren’t afraid to put your clothes in those drawers).

Time to get to work!

1. Vacuum

First things first to get rid of that musty smell, grab your shop vac and get rid of the dust, cobwebs, spiders, and sawdust. 

2. Spray & Wipe Clean

Next clean with White Lightning and wipe off with a paper towel. REPEAT until the towel wipes clean. 

3 & 4. Sunshine and Conditioning

After spraying and wiping, set the piece in the sun to dry. The sun helps deodorize it too.

Next up - wood conditioner and deodorizer. Big Mama’s Butta soft wax re-hydrates the wood and has a nice smell that keeps drawers smelling like roses (or oranges, or just clean wood – depending on the scent you chose). Apply a generous amount with an old rag, and rub into the wood. No more musty smell!

Bring back the luster!

I decided to sand and apply a layer of water based wood stain – Antique Oak - to the drawers. I sealed the wood with Hemp Oil. This soaks into the dry old wood and makes it come to life! 

Cleaned and Restored

The case of the dresser was painted in Dixie Belle’s Antebellum Blue – a stunning color, that I cannot get enough of and looks great with wood. New simple brass knobs finish off this piece just perfectly.

Watch the whole process as I'm doing it.

Now the inside and the outside is like a whole new dresser!

Check out my other popular YouTube DIY tutorials here. I promise to inspire you to create the home you love.

Connect with me:

Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture

IG: @rwfurniture

where I'll offer tips and advice on home projects plus show off my new soy candle line!

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Jenni Ingram

• Robyn Garner

Did you feed the wood with hemp oil and THEN stain or the other way around? Great reno! 😎

• Robyn Garner

Nope, she did both: "I decided to sand and apply a layer of water based wood stain – Antique Oak - to the drawers. I sealed the wood with Hemp Oil."

• Lily Schlender

what a beautiful finished look. i noticed spots on the underside of a drawer in one of the photos. could this be a mold issue? maybe seal the drawers with something to keep it contained? just wondering.

• Jane

The link to your resources for White Lightening is for a hoof cleaner. My guess is that you really used Dixie Belle White Lightening cleaner. Is that correct?

• Angi

More than likely since she also used Big Mama's Butter from Dixie Belle.