How can I replace the caning on my dining room chairs?

Lifestyles HomesCaroleculver2016SharylP
+1

What should I do to replace the old caning on my queen Anne dining room arm chairs?

• Kelli L. Milligan

You can upholstery the space. Ask you tube to show you how to replace caning with fabric or upholstery. Should come up with tutorials on how to.

• SharylP

You actually can buy sheets of good-quality woven cane, and do it yourself. How hard it will be depends on the actual shape of your chairs, but it really isn't that hard to do. I re-caned a set of kitchen chairs a few years ago, and the project went great!

• Caroleculver2016

If the caning is in good shape and you just want a new look, I painted mine a dark charcoal after doing a lite grey on the chairs. Then redid the seats in grey polka dot fabric. Great look.

• Lifestyles Homes

If it has holes, not a routered groove along the edge, this is hand-woven cane and is not a suitable DIY project. As in it’s hand woven a strand at a time.

I know this, as my mother used to do this skilled service for antiques dealers. If you need this done, call antiques dealers to see if they’ll share their resources.