How can I insulate exterior walls?

MogieCaroleKelli L. Milligan
+7

Our old house has plaster walls with panelling over them but they are freezing cold in the winter which makes it difficult to stay warm. Help!!

• Emily

Outside of removing siding from exterior of house which is impractical, probably the best thing to do would be to hang a quilt or other heavy fabric cover. You could also put up foam board under that. When you say freezing do you mean your hand would literally "freeze" if you touch the walls? Or just that the walls feel chilly?

• Kelli L. Milligan

I also saved all the old woodwork. Removed carefully and put back once we fixed the walls. Sanding and or stripping trim is so much easier when you can put on a work table.

.

• Kelli L. Milligan

We actually removed all our walls. Added up to date wiring, water lines, gas lines etc and added insulation. New drywall. We did one room about every 6 months or as we could afford it. So glad we did.

• Tammy Shepherd-Collins

Thank you Kelli. Please read my comments to Emily. I am going to follow your and Emily's advice.

Again thank you so much for answering my question.

• Carole

I had blown-in insulation installed several years ago and it helped a lot. Shop around and see what type you would prefer and check the cost from several installers.