How can I make memorable & sentimental gifts for a bride and groom?

Robyn GarnerGeorgiaBulldogsFanPamela
+5

My son is getting married soon. My husband & I want to give him a sentimental diy gift that lasts. Something he can stumble upon in the back of his closet someday and remember Mom & Dad's love for him, pride in him, wishes for his future... perhaps even friendly /funny 'advice'.To complicate matters... lol. we want to do something for the bride to be that truly welcomes her to our family. Something she will want to keep (as opposed to a kitchen appliance, dishes, silverware etc. I'm a romantic. I want them each to feel individually special, loved and cherished. Hmmmm?????

• Michelle Leslie

HI CIndy, congrats to your son a future daughter in law. You and your husband sound like wonderful people. WRT a pressie for your daughter-in-law. Perhaps you can fill a pretty mason jar with small handwritten notes the tell her how special she is. Depending on when they're getting married you can do one for each day (as a count down) with the last one to be opened on the day of the wedding, welcoming her to the family.

Is there anything special your son loves doing? Cooking, woodworking, watching telly etc. Without knowing him, it's difficult to give advice about what you can make that he'll treasure and use for many years to come.

• Pamela

They are already being blessed by having a great parent and in laws !!!!! I had a super close relationship with my mother in law , I always felt and was treated as if I was one of her daughters , not a daughter in law !!! To me that was always so very special. I am glad to have that same kind of relationship with my daughter ( in law )

Best wishes to all of you !!!💖

• Pamela

No secret ! Be kind and respectful ! And treat your daughter in law how you would want to be treated ! Sounds like you're doing great !

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan

How about a memory book for the two of them together? Start with the birth of your son with you and your husband’s written narrative of the day he was born and throughout his life. Also adding photos of him from birth to adulthood, sports he may have competed in, newspaper articles, etc. I’m in the process of doing this for both of my children. They will be receiving albums of photos of themselves as well as photos through the years of their sibling. Time consuming, but very sentimental and one-of-a-kind gift.

OR, You might also make a cookbook for the daughter-in-law with your son’s or your family favorite foods.

• Robyn Garner

I love the idea of a jar full of reasons why you love each and appreciate each in the family. I would though, encourage you to make something for them together rather than separately - perhaps a photo book of the history of their relationship? See if you can scare up things they did and put in concert tickets, dinner menus, etc.